Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Diesel Walker mower

How much can I expect to pay for a new diesel walker 42" mower. I'm buying a new mower next year. My 36 walk behind lesco just isn't cutting it. No pun intended. But everyone around here runs walkers. I know their not cheap but there must be a reason why their so popular.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Last I checked, which was a while ago, a diesel walker went for about $13,000.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Diesels are't used as much as you might think. The biggest advantage is in fuel savings and mowing effiancey. When cutting large communities, you can cut all day without refilling (average). x15 mowers..you get the idea. I still don't see the big operations using them. If you are a small operation, I doubt that you would realize the benefits over time. The motor might last a while, but the rest of the machine will break like every other walker. As for why they are popular...The floating deck will cut to almost any contour. The weight distribution is unmatched...=fewer tire depressions. Holds a LOT of grasss (chops it up really small) You can cut through 6" of leaves. To date, no rider matches the cut of a walker on fine turf. Even thought it is very heavy, it has the footprint of a much smaller machine. Several people might post that they love their "whatever", But everyone uses them for a reason...just like Redmax blowers.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

PS...Ive seen quite a few walkers on the original (gas) engine with 3-6 thousand hours and have heard "stories" nearing 10,000. (Not the single cylinder)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, the company i worked for last had a walker and it was always having issues burning oil. It was the third machine they were on to date, but they'd swear by them. I was on the construction crew so I never got to use it or see why they loved it so much. I have to see what financing is available first before I even think about buying another machine.