Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

NOFA 5-day Accreditation Course in Organic Land Care

There is still time to catch the Early Bird Discount on the NOFA 5-day Accreditation Course in Organic Land Care! The early bird deadline is Dec. 21st for the Leominster, MA and New Haven, CT courses. Registering before Dec. 21 means you can save $30 off your course registration!!!

The NOFA 5-day Accreditation Course in Organic Land Care is in its seventh year, and the program is growing at a rapid rate. We have almost 300 Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals in 11 states, many of whom are practicing within your communities, and over 500 have taken the 5-day course in the last six years that it has been offered.

Course faculty include respected scientists and experienced organic land care practitioners, who instruct the following classes: Principles and Procedures; Site Analysis, Design, and Maintenance; Rain Gardens/Storm Water Infiltration; Soil Health; the Soil Foodweb; Fertilizer and Soil Amendments; Composting; Lawns; Lawn Alternatives; Planting and Plant Care; Wetlands; Pest Management; Wildlife Management; Disease Control; Weeds; Mulches; Invasive Plants; Running a Business, and Client Relations. Four hands-on case studies are also included in the course.

At the end of the course, attendees will be able to incorporate methods and materials that respect natural ecology and the long-term health of the environment into the care of their own landscapes or ones that they manage. Those who pass the optional exam offered at the conclusion of the course can become NOFA Accredited Organic Land Care Professionals, able to use the NOFA Organic Land Care Logo, be listed on the www.organiclandcare.net website, be published annually in the NOFA Guide to Organic Land Care and have the opportunity to represent NOFA at organic land care events.

The Leominster, MA course takes place Jan. 16, 17, 18, 22 and 23, 2008 at the Doyle Conservation Center. The New Haven, CT course takes place Jan. 23, 24, 25, 28 and 29, 2008 at the CT Agricultural Experiment Station.

And, new this year! We are offering a course in Narragansett, Rhode Island, happening Feb. 27, 28, 29, March 3 and 4, 2008 at the URI Coastal Institute.

Each of the courses costs $525 for the five days ($495 with the Early Bird discount); accreditation is another $150. An organic lunch is included and NOFA membership can give you additional discounts.

For more info, visit www.organiclandcare.net or call Kathy Litchfield in MA at 978-724-0108 or email kathylitch29@yahoo.com. In CT, call Ashley Kremser at 203-8888-5146 or emai l akremser@ctnofa.org. In RI, call Frank Crandall at 401-364-3387 or email fcrandall@woodriverevergreens.com.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone here taken this course? How informative is it? My only worry about the 5 day course is missing a day or to. With the weather here in NH we never know about plowing and is hard to make a commitment like this in trhe winter. Is there a way to make up a day if it is missed?
2000 Ford F-550
97 GMC 3500 Rack/dump w/9 Diamond plow
Snoex 8000 sander (Sold)
And a bunch of other junk.
Dog, Wife, Kid
Old 12-08-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I believe they have a 2 day course as well but you would have to confirm it with them.
I have heard that the 5 day course is better than excellent, it was pointed out that I was being dramatic in another post but I have to say this anyway, the 5 day course is life changing.

Days missed , I don't know you would have to call them. I know they only do the 5 day class once a year

You are surrounded by some the best people in the industry, the experience that these people bring to the table can not be underestimated.
They give you the science and the tools to become a very competent land steward.

One warning about NOFA, and they would probably say this themselves, they are very strict with their definition of "organic". This can turn off the less liberal and less opened minded.

My suggestion is, turn over your accounts to a fellow snow plower for a week
Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

a cut above

I missed your question on how good the course was and has anyone taken it.
NOFA has a list of companies and individuals on their site that are accredited, call one or two of them and ask
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took the class in its 3rd year. I'm glad I took it. There is a lot of information packed into 5 days and some of it went over my head. But I
ve taken some of their other courses and it is well worth it. You will meet some people that belive Al Gore is God though. I just keep my mouth shut
Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Keegan,
I know what you mean with the keep your mouth shut comment. I really enjoy the enthusiasm of the folks but find some are a little too strict with their vision of land stewardship.

Do you have any suggestions to others that may want to sign up as far as background or suggested books?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ICT

If they dont' want to take the 5 day course, at least take the the one day lawn ony course. ( no accreditation) I've read Paul Sachs book. (very scientific) I get my hands on whatever I can.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There is still a discount until Jan 15 I believe to become an accredited professional
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to the one in Rhode Island, anyone else?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Do they certify people not in the NOFA area? It would be awsome to take a trip up yonder. I'm in NW FL, and it's not the most green friendly environment, industry wise. Too many old school people clinging to yester years.