Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-04-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Project from this summer

Hey guys, you all might remember a thread I started about completing a gravel road on a property. Thanks to your help, I finished the project without any problems and it turned out pretty well. Finals start next week and I have some time off, so I figured I would post some pictures so you could see how it turned out. Feel free to critique it and give me any new ideas on how it could have been better. To give everybody a little background on the project, I had to go through and cut down all the overgrowth on the sides of the road and hills, cutting down a few trees in the process. We then brought in a S250 and regraded a large portion of the road, helping with some drainage issues. Then we brought in 80 tons of 3/4" gravel, for around 600 ft. of road. There was still another 1100 ft. of road that we didn't do at this time because the client just wanted to clear up the entrance. We used the S250 the next couple days to clear out property and move around some dead trees. The property is 8 acres in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Knoxville, the road is simply a way to navigate around the property while it is for sale.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a work of art, the way the driveway keeps the imagination busy and all.

And smart truckers drive Macks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

no base under the drive? should be on 2''-4'' crushed with the 21aa on top of that.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandennis1470 View Post
no base under the drive? should be on 2''-4'' crushed with the 21aa on top of that.
You must be joking...Use your brain, obviously this isn't a highly travelled driveway, it'll be just fine.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 12-04-2007, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how you like the bobcat
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha, cat2, you stole my question!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

its going to be a well used drive some day so why the heck wouldnt you just put down the 2-4's to save money and then the 21aa after. what a pain when the new owner has to scrape up that to start over and do it right. or leave it how it is and redoit in five years when its mixed with mud and dirt.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The proper way would be to remove the sod and then come in with a good base especially since some of it is hilly and then top it off with smaller gravel. Hills tend to wash easy and also since it is close to the trees means less sunlight so it will be allot wetter there and mushy ground. A person could put down the gravel as stated above and get by but you will have road repairs down the road. Looks like a nice job done though. We also got to remember though that some owners are not willing to spend what it takes to do a job the correct way. I personally dont like doing things not the correct way but at times you have to do what it takes to make the customer happy. I just tell them up front this is what you can expect if you wish to do it this way.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldman12 View Post
The proper way would be to remove the sod and then come in with a good base especially since some of it is hilly and then top it off with smaller gravel.
i agree, i was going to say that about cutting out the sod and topsoil but figured it was just to save the money.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't see any problem the way that job was done. Scrape the loon**** off the top put some gravel on top it will last a long time. You start disturbing the grade too much it will turn into a muddy mess. All you want to do is scrape the grass and brown dirt off. Could take a 1000lb plate compactor to pack the new gravel or let it pack itself with vehical traffic.

If you put the gravel on thick enough it may not need another layer in a couple years.

A driveway like that is nothing compared to the goat trails around here. If that was a driveway used every day probably consider concrete it. When it was grass I imagine it was a 4x4 only road. Wet grass is slippier than snot