Register free!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Got an flyer for TOPPING TREES today

This afternoon when I got home I pulled a flyer off my front door advertising somebody local "topping trees for unbeatable prices".

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!

Any of you still hearing / seeing this barbarism to nature going on to trees in your areas?

I thought that the tree trimming industry (except for 'line clearing') had evolved past that point of unprofessionalism, but I guess I'm wrong!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
This afternoon when I got home I pulled a flyer off my front door advertising somebody local "topping trees for unbeatable prices".

Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!!

Any of you still hearing / seeing this barbarism to nature going on to trees in your areas?

I thought that the tree trimming industry (except for 'line clearing') had evolved past that point of unprofessionalism, but I guess I'm wrong!
Oooooh but they look so lovely after being hacked up like that Anywho just curious, what is the purpose of such unsightly butchering(other than utility lines)?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_the_psycho View Post
Anywho just curious, what is the purpose of such unsightly butchering(other than utility lines)?
It is done undoubtedly for the purpose of quickly lining the pocket of the idiot or the thief who calls himself a tree trimmer, usually at the expense of people who don't know the difference between a 'hack job' and what is well thought-out selective pruning.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ouch. Amazing. It might be kind a fun to put together some information and school the fool about the perils of topping trees.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Clearly an example of someone who has no idea what they are doing.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
Ouch. Amazing. It might be kind a fun to put together some information and school the fool about the perils of topping trees.
A number of years ago when we lived in a different house I tried to do this.
Some nimrods were working off ladders, just CHUNKING off pieces of the top of the neighbor's sugar and norway maples.
Being in the business of landscaping, and having an extensive background in pruning, I felt compelled to go over and talk to them. But the "mind my own business" temperament in me took control, and I just watched.

When they were done, though, the crew leader (I suppose) had seen me watching him through the window, and he bravely walked over to see if I was interested in a quote on one maple I had.

THAT'S when he and his crew got a 1st CLASS lesson in correct pruning methods!
By me, right in my own back yard!
(And I got free brush removal that day!)

I tried to be constructive as I could, but these guys were just acting like pecks working under their bosses' instruction. The fellows were real nice. But I think they were dazed and amazed to find out what they had been doing was actually damaging to the tree in the long run, causing them to be 'weak' at the top, and actually spurring on greater numbers of problem water sprouts.

My hope though was that once they were 'on their own' and away from their idiot boss, they'd actually find proof that what I showed them was correct!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's actually not bad if it's done right, you're really only supposed to cut off dead branches and what have you.
That or cut out an entire portion, there's some trick to keep it from sprouting new shoots, usually this is the part that isn't done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
It is done undoubtedly for the purpose of quickly lining the pocket of the idiot or the thief who calls himself a tree trimmer, usually at the expense of people who don't know the difference between a 'hack job' and what is well thought-out selective pruning.
And that's what usually happens, but don't blame it entirely on the trimmer either, this type of service usually caters to customers who don't want to pay more.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
It's actually not bad if it's done right, you're really only supposed to cut off dead branches and what have you.
That or cut out an entire portion, there's some trick to keep it from sprouting new shoots, usually this is the part that isn't done right.

.....A properly pruned tree will have the deadwood cleaned out, of course. But it will also have all major sized 'crossing' branches cut off properly just away from the collar of the limb. The crown would be thinned too, but instead of 'topping', a trained climber knows how to selectively prune out upward-growing branches to 'balance' the tree's energy and weight uniformly to allow better air flow and sunlight and still keep water sprouts down, WITHOUT cutting out an "entire portion".....Marcos' response to Topsites

And that's what usually happens, but don't blame it entirely on the trimmer either, this type of service usually caters to customers who don't want to pay more.
It's up to legitimate businessman to bring these types of issues up during the bid process. Diplomatically TELL THEM they'll probably get cheaper bids from other people (without being specific).
But also TELL THEM the kind of return for their dollar they can expect down the road from the work of outfits like "Topless Tree Service"

This approach works well for me.

Last edited by Marcos; 12-05-2007 at 03:40 AM. Reason: add clarification of identity
Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is done so much around here with the Crape Myrtles that customers expect it to be like that.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

No it really should never be done. I do believe a post were you hacked a persons Myrtle to death and were not going to replace them. You shouldn't give tree pruning advice. Topping is always a poor pruning practice.