Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
What's the deal with the new stake that came with the FG-12 fixture I picked up today as a sample?

There's a clear window in the middle of the stake attached with a single SS screw. It doesn't come with any additional instructions about what to do with this compartment.

It says CapannaDiNoce on it. I'm assuming it's for splicing, but do you use it?

Or do you use whatever splice method you've been using and discard the clear window?
Gregg,

This almost doesn't seem pertinent to this thread anymore, but I'll answer your question. The new stake, which is only standard on some of the bigger,taller fixtures, has that compartment available for a splice kit. I find it isn't that convenient and just bypass it. My FX rep tells me the guys that like it, LOVE it. To each his own.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I did some checking today... The CSA standard is the rule of law here in Canada. That is why we are technically not permitted to install any fixture, component, etc that has not been tested to CSA standards.

When you see ULc or ETLc (or ARLc, if there is such a thing) then what you are seeing is a product that was physically tested by UL or ETL to the CSA standard. ie. it meets CSA requirements. Items that are rated UL or ETL or ARL (with no "c") are not permitted to be installed by contractors. For some reason there is no prohibition on them being sold, but they cannot be installed by pros legally. This is what our Electrical Safety Authority is going to be cracking down on come 2008. The will be looking for product that is not properly listed or approved.

As far as I know both FX and Unique are not tested to CSA standards and therefore are/will not be accepted for installations here in Ontario.

This is not my interpretation as I investigated this today with: 1: Lighting Distributor, 2: Electrical Wholesaler, 3: Electrical contractor. They all provided the same information.

Have a Safe, legal, approved, and certified day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is my TF label James. Need I say more about my listing??

Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That works for me Joey. Are your fixtures the same?

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
That works for me Joey. Are your fixtures the same?
Most are. I am getting a lst of which fixtrues are not. Those that are not are in process with ETL right now. Here is a label to reflect the logo. No excuses now James!! Got to give me a shot. Contact Tony at Central Irrigation up there!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
I don't propose to be an expert, but i do have some experience with this issue, and have been involved with the negotiations with the ESA in Ontario, and here is the rub. A CSA, ULc, cETL, whatever listing is only good if it is "approved for the purpose for which it is intended". In Canada, that means if it is to be used for landscape lighting, it must conform to CSA TIL B-58B. Neither UL1598 nor UL506 (506 actually states "not for use with garden lighting!) comply. The authority was very clear on this point..."approved for the purpose for which it is intended."
JH
Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the info John. I will need to research the legality of our listing in Canada. I an tell oyu though John this was just to show James that we do have our products tested to CSA standards. But I have said it before na di will say it again we have more listings than anyone. SO if a UL 1838 unit is the only legal unit you can install in CA we have it. We do make an 1838, and 1563, a 506, a 1598..........etc. I would say just like I told James the CSA is going to pigeon hole you guys and really limit you in your product availability and choices.

My brain is running on fumes right now. I will dive into this subject further later in the week. This si a good subject for us to discuss, atleast for you canucks!! LOL
Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Thanks for the info John. I will need to research the legality of our listing in Canada. I an tell oyu though John this was just to show James that we do have our products tested to CSA standards. But I have said it before na di will say it again we have more listings than anyone. SO if a UL 1838 unit is the only legal unit you can install in CA we have it. We do make an 1838, and 1563, a 506, a 1598..........etc. I would say just like I told James the CSA is going to pigeon hole you guys and really limit you in your product availability and choices.
Thanks Joey, It is certainly becoming more restrictive, however only in enforcement, the CEC hasn't changed much, just how it is interpreted and enforced.
Further research into this area, CSA STD. 22.2 NO.66-1988 is no longer valid, it has been superseded by CSA STD. 22.2 66.1, 66.2, and 66.3. These are binational standards which relate to UL5085. UL5085 specifically states that it does not cover low voltage landscape lighting. UL1838 comforms to CAN/CSA TILB-58B which is the standard specifically for landscape lighting.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks John. For those of you who don't know him.... John Higo is the main guy at TC Lighting here in Ontario. He is a awesome asset and resource for contractors and the industry.

Welcome to the thread John.

www.integralighting.com

Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ooops. Wish I would have read the bio before I slammed him with the "cut and paste comment." Sorry pal. Didn't know you were a celebrity.....