Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Design Idea let me know what you think.

Hi,

Darren here from Ireland. I am going to visit this lady at the weekend and have done a rough photo design of her front entrance which is currently covered in heathers. These will be taken out leaving us a blank canvas to work with and we are hoping to go the rose route either flower carpet or trumpeter and Koressia(sunsprite). Horse it topiary they have 12 stables and are horse mad so thought it appropriate. Anyway if you have a better idea or would make changes would love to hear. Normally I would not ask advice on design as I know it always sparks a few people into negative comments well I am open to any comment. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2007, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks out of context to me. The composition as a whole, not necessarilly the topiary. But I'm using the perspective of someone who is not from that area and does not often see such a large stone building with little planting.

Is this out of context in your area?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm more inclined to include something tall and narrow, arranged in a triangular array, like this. Italian Cypress or Irish yew, etc.. Does not have to become extraordinarily tall.
Attached Images

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-06-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did have in mind to use some gorgeous Thuja Smaragd 2m tall trees which we have in abundance in our own nursery. Only problem is the amount to use as 3 would be enough but I do not want to obscure the Topiary in the middle so I really have to think about positioning mmm. To be honest the planting done previous to me being contacted is a bit sporadic and very little thought put into it. Yes it will be a bright entrance when all is in bloom but I hope it will bring a necessary lift to the current planting and hopefully the owner will allow us to take out and introduce some other stuff into the beds. There is big section we have to do on side of house which will require further thought. Anyway we will try and ensure we get this right before we worry about the rest.

If you have any other pointers or help with positioning let me know.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a few "tall skinnys" I'd consider 3 or 5.

I don't recall what page I put this .doc file on, but here attached is a triangular placement doc.
Attached Files
File Type: doc triangles.doc (26.0 KB, 20 views)

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the structure is rather large, strikingly tall, and very 'stoney'....

With that said, here are my thoughts I can see inside my mind...

I do not care for the triplicate row of plantings, especially not the yellows at this site.
But I do like the reds...

Reds, whites, pinks, lavenders, etc... these colors will fit the site...

I would go two courses high on the hardscape... staying with the hard stone appearance.

I would plant a taller wheeping tree to the right of the landscape, in line with the window-less chimney area. Something dwarf or something that doesn't get large and creepy...

I would drop the yellows period...

Where the horse is, I would install a water feature... pond with fountain...

Then I would mulch it... then haul in and place some LARGE stones... (1-3 cliff boulders) and some small randomly placed shrubs... just a few.

Then if you must pay honor to the horses.... inlay a horseshoe in light/white hardscaping stones, pavers, or washed white stone... HECK, YOU COULD EVEN MAKE A HORSESHOE 'PATH' INTO THE MULCH TO WALK ON TO THE WATER FEATURE!

If not that, a horseshoe arc for a climbing/rambling planting would work considering the doorway arch....

If you don't like the horseshoe, you could instead insert a small rustic bench to the left, and a single wagon wheel, like one on a snapped axle (if they use any wagons or buggies at all)

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it calls for a fountain if possible rather than the topiary.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a very large home with a stark empty landscape. You are proposing to load the center island of the driveway with plants as well as the topiary. It adds a disproportionate visual weight to that portion of the property (kind of like a rap star hanging a dinner plare sized piece of jewelry from a chain around his neck).

I think the topiary is fine, but I would suggest that planting the entire island is not. It would be good to lighten it up a bit. Remember that the house is part of the composition and don't just think about decorating the circle. Too much in the middle in front of that house makes the background disproportionately stark.

One way that you might handle it is to push the topiary farther back in the island and spread the composition by adding more planting bulk to the left and right of the rear of the island (perhaps mounding those areas slightly) and then lowering and narrowing the planting as it comes across the front of the house and behind the topiary. Lawn the rest of the island making it more like the surround. The topiary can be in its own bed ahead of the thin narrow part of the planting, but not as far forward as the middle of the island. This will spread the planting more across the face of the house and frame both the horse and draws your eye into the middle of the house.

All of the mock ups above split the view making your eye go the the emptiness on both ends of the house.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Agreed

First priority for me would be to break up the abrupt lines of the structure with verticals half the total height around the chimney.... balanced with same on opposite corner.
Then a couple small verticals (6 to 8 ft) just left of center.

As for the Island.....formal works better within a border or framework like walls or a fence....I like the water feature idea...but not too tall. Break the Island into 4 beds....with the bed facing the approach slightly larger....load with boxwood in the shape of the family moniker...or some sort of equestrian symbol.

And NO YELLOW ... Gray stone begs for pink, lavender and then white as an accent.

Great project...wish I had a castle to dress up !!

Good luck
Old 12-07-2007, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As for planting the entire Island, go for it if you like.

It is a good idea, but dependent on how it's done.

My opinion is that it would better to omit the taller boxwood on the edge, and stick with the low stuff to the edge, even like Kinninnick or something.

Could have a flower area, or not.

Pavers could be an option.

But to only leave the option of not planting the entire bed, is too limited.

Fountain or topiary works great, either way. In the end, it will just come down to how much and where it's positioned. And a lot stems from your end.

I'm only judging from one angle.