Register free!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what the?

Almost soiled myself this morning cruising the Nightscaping website to look at James's deck light.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf gambino_wm0403.pdf (351.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mike G used to use nightscaping and still swears by their connectors.

Im sure if he needed a 1 off fixture and only for a job or 2 he it would be MUCH cheaper to go thru nightscaping or another manufacture than incur the charges of his molds lead times not to mention his minimum quanity.

That light looks pretty slick for mounting under eaves or where you could hide it up in a pergola/arbor type area. Pretty compact
Old 12-07-2007, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We don't see Gambino bragging about it or trying to sell it on here though like someone else.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete, as a disclaimer, James referred to the deck light after I requested ideas on products. It also seems like a nice option for docks, but I'm concerned about double-hull boats getting lines snagged.

How about this for a dock light: bore a small hole and mount a light underneath. The product could have a rectagular flush-mounted cover with a paver-type strong lense in the middle. This could be mounted alongside cleats. As an open galre, they would only need to be bright enough to illuminate the cleat. Boaters could locate their dock easily. Would be nice touch for restaurants that have docks.

Just getting ahead of myself again, sorry.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

try terraDock lights. I wouldnt trust some surface mounted screws holiding a light down to hold my boat thats for sure.

I think TerraDek is the only place you can get terradock... i know paul uses or has used em before.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many times in ones lifetime would one have the opportunity to use a dock light fixture? 90% of the population lives inland with no access to ocean or lakes. In fact I'm gonna imagine that if you are coming into a dock in a boat and one of those lights is mounted on a dock it's gonna be pretty close to eye level and you are going to be looking directly into the lamp compartment and be blinded. probably end up crashing the boat through the dock. Show me a bullet and maybe I can get excited over it. I live on an island surrounded by water and never once had the occasion to install a dock light. The world can get along just fine without docklights. In fact I wish they'd introduce legislation to outlaw them. I wish they'd do the same about granola and Granola peddling. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Pete, as a disclaimer, James referred to the deck light after I requested ideas on products. It also seems like a nice option for docks, but I'm concerned about double-hull boats getting lines snagged.

How about this for a dock light: bore a small hole and mount a light underneath. The product could have a rectagular flush-mounted cover with a paver-type strong lense in the middle. This could be mounted alongside cleats. As an open galre, they would only need to be bright enough to illuminate the cleat. Boaters could locate their dock easily. Would be nice touch for restaurants that have docks.

Just getting ahead of myself again, sorry.
Wouldn't work very well for floating docks...

As I recall, James is an avid boater and lives near a big beautiful lake where a lot of wealthy people keep vacation homes... nice niche market if you ask me. Anyway, I think he worked this fixture out pretty well for its intended use.

I don't know what docks are used for in Long Island, but apparently not nighttime recreational boating.

Last edited by irrig8r; 12-07-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
We don't see Gambino bragging about it or trying to sell it on here though like someone else.
No, actually Mike used to brag about his other custom built fixtures, but as far as I know didn't make them available for sale even though some people asked.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That light is hideous!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
How many times in ones lifetime would one have the opportunity to use a dock light fixture? 90% of the population lives inland with no access to ocean or lakes. ...Thank you.

You're welcome. See http://www.census.gov

From the 2000 US Census:

In 2005, there were 673 coastal counties in the 50 states and the District of Columbia, grouped here into 5 regions: North Atlantic (Maine through Virginia), South Atlantic (North Carolina through Miami-Dade County, Florida), Gulf of Mexico (Monroe County, Florida through Texas), Great Lakes, and Pacific.

Population Growth in Coast Counties
The coastal population has grown substantially since 1950:
Year Coastal Population
1950 75.2 million
1960 94.6 million
1970 109 million
1980 119.8 million
1990 133.4 million
2000 148.3 million
2005 155.2 million

In the 1950s the percentage population increase for coastal areas was more than twice that of non-coastal areas. Since then, percentage gains have been more similar for the two areas. Non-coastal areas have higher rates of population growth in the 1970s, 1990s, and post-2000 era.

Percentage Increases in Coast and Non-coastal Population by Time Period
Time Period Coastal Non-coastal
1950 to 1960 25.8 11.4
1960 to 1970 16.3 10
1970 to 1980 8.9 14.4
1980 to 1990 11.3 8.1
1990 to 2000 11.2 15.4
2000 to 2005 4.7 6.1

The overall population increased between 1950 and 2005 was 106.1% for coastal areas and 75.8% for non-coastal areas.

Since 1970, the coastal counties share of the population has remained at a relatively stable 53-54%.

Last edited by irrig8r; 12-07-2007 at 11:05 AM.