Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Install question

Hey guys,

I'm taking on a commerial account which involves attaching par clips to conrete on some parts and metal on others. Do you always screw them in, or do you glue them? They are holding C9's. Also, it's cold out, so i'm not sure if gluing will work well....

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is a par clip the same as a parapet clip?
If so I always glue them. However, this time of year with the cold they take too long to set.

What I do is glue, set the clip, slide the shingle tab and c-9 in and then duct tape it so it wont move until it sets. Remove the duct tape at take down and you are ready for next year.

This may not work on the concrete portions of the job, I have not tried it on concrete only metal.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. Yes a par clip is a parapet clip. I have always glued them as well and taped them while they set. But the glue and tape doesn't want to stick to the concrete. I have cold weather rated glue as well. I have a therory there is some sort of coting on the concrete since it is a fairly newer building... I'm thinking of just screwing them down, but I don't know how well the owner will like that....
Old 12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Use hot glue. Works great on concrete and even better in cold weather since it sets faster. When it comes time to take it down, it pulls right off, sticking to the light (or clip) and not the concrete.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My glue sets, it just sticks to the clip and not the concrete.. plus it's 2.5 stories on a river so it's very windy...So hot glue would pop right off...
We are just going to drape them.
I think the fact that it is really windy, and close to a busy road (like three feet) and 100 feet from the train tracks creates a very dirty windy roof top.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you want parapet clips to stay, hot glue the bottom and use the liquid nails concrete glue for retaining walls at the top. hot glue holds it for a day or 2, masonry glue will set by then.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually tape them to hold them, and use liquid nails. For this job I had to use liquid nails perfect glue due to the cold temp. I've never had an issue getting clips to stay before. I think this guy just has a magic building!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You use liquid nails and leave the clips up year round? Are they not that noticeable throughout the year? It would seem that if you take the clips off at tear down that it would pull of paint and stuff...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A parapet clip is a clip that is clear and glues onto the roof. you then slide you shingle tab into the clip. Not noticable at all during the off season.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you glue them to the roof? I thought that the part you slide in just went under the shingle... I guess that makes since, I was looking at it and was wandering how it was suppose to grab on. Dumb moment I guess... so as far as a shopping center or something where they want stuff hung on the wall itself, how do you secure those?

Glueing the clip... is this how you do all of your clips? or only when the all-in-one doesn't work. It would seem the parapet would be faster in the long run. I saw these at the store the other day so I know what your talking about.