Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scalia,

I use the Irritrol PC Control Irrigation timer to control 3 customers light setups, along with the irrigation system. I didnt do the lights, just added the timer for control of the water and added the lights to it as well. Though the timer is set up for 2 zones for lights when you get it, you can custom program each zone for lights, if you really wanted to, up to 48 zones. Youll need a relay added to the system, usually about 40-50 bucks.

Is this post ok, I'm no Lighting contractor! How did I get in here?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Tommy... I want NO ONE messing with my timer set ups besides a homeowner who is capable and understands. Its a service call waiting to happen.

There are higher end home automation systems with touch screens that will do all this as well.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Craig Freeman CLVT #0412

If you have a large multiple transformer job, make sure the controller is rated to turn on multiple valves at the same time so all your lights turn on at the same time. And also make sure the controller has long enough run times. The Hunter ACC controller works real well for this application.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

is there ANY advantage to doing this vs doing a stand alone lighting control system ? I would think if someone were to have a multiple trans installation that a UPB or in trans astro timers would be a drop in the bucket for the reliability and ease of use.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For the customer who wants to have ultimate control over his lights and is already upgrading a sprinkler system to something like the Irritrol PC Control then it's probably more cost effective than UPB. It's got to be a customer who is somewhat computer savvy and wants to get involved in the scheduling though.

For someone like that, I'm gonna say "have at it" and just make sure that they understand it limits what I'm responsible for and may increase their service call frequency and cost if they get it messed up.

Because most of my customers are under a half hour drive away, I don't think it would become a big issue.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Timer or autamtion device in one unit, Sequencers to the rest. You can either pull a wire (irrigation wire or any size LV cable, 18/2ga minimum) from the master TF to the first slave or from a Hub being powered by the master TF to the slave. You then repeat from the first slave to the next slave and so on and so forth, essentially wiring the TF's in sequence. Now when the first TF kicks on it turns on all the units. Obviously if you cant get a wire from TF to TF then this wont work.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lighting Geek View Post
I did a couple of jobs a few years ago where it was spec'd to use the Nightscaping relay in the power center and it was ok. The problem we ran into was the gardener kept turning the irrigation controller off for rain and for the most part, winter, and it also turned off the lights. I eventually replaced it with Unique tf's and some sequencers and the client was thrilled to get it off the irrigation system.
Simple solution. use a separate irri timer for the lights. problem solved
Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
For the customer who wants to have ultimate control over his lights and is already upgrading a sprinkler system to something like the Irritrol PC Control then it's probably more cost effective than UPB. It's got to be a customer who is somewhat computer savvy and wants to get involved in the scheduling though.

For someone like that, I'm gonna say "have at it" and just make sure that they understand it limits what I'm responsible for and may increase their service call frequency and cost if they get it messed up.

Because most of my customers are under a half hour drive away, I don't think it would become a big issue.
It really can't be compared to UPB because the irrigation timer needs new hard wiring where UPB is remote with a signal on existing wiring
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfree View Post
If you have a large multiple transformer job, make sure the controller is rated to turn on multiple valves at the same time so all your lights turn on at the same time. And also make sure the controller has long enough run times. The Hunter ACC controller works real well for this application.
Absolutely essential. Great advice.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess im not seeing the point... with the irri timer can they switch on thier lights from inside ? This is one of the huge selling points of the UPB with a touchpad or controlscape system.

I would never dream of using the irrigation clocks to control lighting. Now if your doing a full smart home automation system with irrigation... landscape lighting... interior and exterior line voltage lighting and other accesories then thats different. Its usually computer controlled from inside