Register free!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Holy crap I think I just shead a tear!!

You guys have finally turnd the corner. I feel like I am watching Apollo Creed and Rocky Baloboa in what was it Rocky 3 when he faught the russian Ivan Kut.....never mind??
Chris and I don't want no rematch. We have grown to have mutual respect and admiration for each other. I love him a ton.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know what they say: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em............or was it "Kill them with kindness"? I can't remember, but it's more fun to let go and unleash him on someone else. Looks like James is the lucky recipient!!
Old 12-09-2007, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I've been in my front yard for the past 5 hours putting up Christmas lights, and I've been cursing everyone I know who does this for a living. Before I go any further, I want to apologize to any of you who install Christmas lights because I just called you a freakin idot about 100 times in the last few hours.
I just don't understand why anyone would want to take on this hassle as a business? I got half the lights up, look back at what I had accomplished, and there would be a segment of lights out in the middle of a string! Back and forth to the garage to figure out the problem, up and down the ladder, over and over again. Who does this crap with a passion? I've got people hammering me to put up these stupid lights for them, but I absolutely hate Christmas lights! Are you guys just warped in the mind to be dealing with this kind of thing? I mean really; if I have this much trouble with my own lights, why would I want to expose myself to a hundred customers who would call me on Christmas Eve with a problem? AAAAHHHHHHhh!!!
OK, I'm through venting now. I'm gonna go look at my pretty lights.
Your the poster child for why we do this! We start installing in late October and are still going today...yes today...Sunday. We have been running our crews 7 days per week and anticipate that next weekend we will get Sunday off.

This is a great business if you understand how to run it and train your people correctly. This January we will start the take downs and continue until Mid to late March.

Additionally, we get pruning jobs, snow removal, and even lawns for next season.

Last year we converted to straight LED lights and the power concerns we had before have ended. The employees...today at 5 above are out installing. Many customers hire us because your job..once trained..takes far less time and most assuredly will look far better.

A friend of mine goes to china each January where we get our orders ready for next year and the best part we order to our specs.

Had a customer this year that wanted a 100' tree done and we were already sold out and he will have to wait until next year to get it done. About 60,000 Polar LED's.

I LOVE THIS BUSINESS!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I commend you for your efforts, but as you can see by my original post I don't like holiday lights at all. I'm fully aware that you guys who do this frequently have perfected the craft, but I just can't get excited about starting a business that I loath already. If I even remotely cared about these lights, my house would have been done around Thanksgiving. Maybe one day I will force myself to change my attitude, but for now, I can think of more reasons not to do x-mas lights than I can think of to do it.
Wishing you and all others on this forum a very profitable holiday season! Make lots of cabbage, and take the rest of the year off!
Good luck, and best wishes.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris knows best and I agree with him. Ladders, climbing on roofs, busting shingles off the sides of houses in the bone chilling cold and for what a temporary display of holiday spirit?
No thanks but I can think of a 1/2 dozen better ways I'd rather spend my December than that.