Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just launched round one of our site...

Check it out... Critique as desired, although I am working on the SEO so no google tips etc. till I'm done please.

Http://www.JDMowers.com
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the way it looks.

Not sure if you even really need the little image on the home page. I'm guessing you will find a more crisp feature picture for the top.

Almost enough there for it to be a template with all the small pieces of background images. Either you are adept at it, or its a template. But nice colors either way.

Seems well laid out.

I didn't scrutinize spelling, figuring that if you are still hard at it, you will be reviewing all the details all over again.

The main image is in two pieces. What was the reason. Can't see it without right clicking - I was just curious how it works.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like it. What did you use to make it and who does your hosting?

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I like the way it looks.

Not sure if you even really need the little image on the home page. I'm guessing you will find a more crisp feature picture for the top.
True about that little pic, I will take it off the next time I upload the homepage. And ya we haven't really worked on a photo portfolio so that's the pic for now. (hope you didn't notice the quakie's got bugs. For the record, that's before we got a chemical contract with them.

Quote:

Almost enough there for it to be a template with all the small pieces of background images. Either you are adept at it, or its a template. But nice colors either way.

Seems well laid out.
Thanks. I did it all (Yea for adobe Photoshop)

Quote:

I didn't scrutinize spelling, figuring that if you are still hard at it, you will be reviewing all the details all over again.
Ya, I am going to recheck spelling and grammar etc. I will post when I am done. If you want to go over it then & still notice anything please let me know. 

Quote:

The main image is in two pieces. What was the reason. Can't see it without right clicking - I was just curious how it works.
The picture is in two pieces because I used tables to set the layout and the pic spans two rows. Ya, I admit it is kind of crude but it works.

_____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I like it. What did you use to make it and who does your hosting?
I used front page to do most of the programming but I am somewhat familiar with HTML and tweaked it a bit on my own.

Hosting is a fun story. I had a local guy that was going to host it on his server for free but when I went to buy the domain I noticed Godaddy hosting was cheap ($7/month) and offered more control. Plus I can share the space and bandwidth for an unlimited amount of Websites. I have about 4 more I am going to do... eventually. So its me and Godaddy for now. I'm new to their hosting but I am impressed so far.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, now I get it.

I use tables too. Mine's got rows too.

Had I done yours, which is similar to the first table arrangement done for me years ago, I'd probably have gone with columns.

Anyway, it still looks fine, although, I did not hold my CTRL key down and roll the mouse wheel to see if enlarging the text blows the design to smithereens.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-10-2007, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a nive web site !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On your sprinkler page your link for 'estimate' is broken.

I like the photo of the geyser!!!

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

You seem to be pretty handy with web development so I'll be a little more thorough than I would with a newbie.

I really like the online estimator and ability to pay online. Very progressive for lco's and customer friendly. I am not a big fan of AdSense on business sites, though. They may post competitor ads on your site and can be a distraction. If you want to sell advertising on your site I would recommend that you control the design and sell of the ad space yourself. Partner with an equipment dealer or chemical supplier that isn't competing with you.

The site and images stay framed and spaced well when viewed in IE and FireFox, which is sometimes tough to do. You also have about us, tips, and links pages that are only linked through the splash or site map. Is there a reason you don't want them visible elsewhere?

The areating, power raking, and fertilizing menu at the bottom of the grass care page looks like it was done to keep framing in line with the left menu. I would think about advertising those pages a little more as they are good money makers. They may even deserve their own cat. in your menu.

I would also recommend a newsletter or other page that is updated regularly as this is a good way to stay connencted to customers and helps with SEO. I can't decide if the (blue) background is too dark or not. It may be a little heavy for your site.

At-any-rate, this is a great site and I just wanted to throw in my two pennies.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
You seem to be pretty handy with web development so I'll be a little more thorough than I would with a newbie.

I really like the online estimator and ability to pay online. Very progressive for lco's and customer friendly. I am not a big fan of AdSense on business sites, though. They may post competitor ads on your site and can be a distraction. If you want to sell advertising on your site I would recommend that you control the design and sell of the ad space yourself. Partner with an equipment dealer or chemical supplier that isn't competing with you.

The site and images stay framed and spaced well when viewed in IE and FireFox, which is sometimes tough to do. You also have about us, tips, and links pages that are only linked through the splash or site map. Is there a reason you don't want them visible elsewhere?

The aerating, power raking, and fertilizing menu at the bottom of the grass care page looks like it was done to keep framing in line with the left menu. I would think about advertising those pages a little more as they are good money makers. They may even deserve their own cat. in your menu.

I would also recommend a newsletter or other page that is updated regularly as this is a good way to stay connected to customers and helps with SEO. I can't decide if the (blue) background is too dark or not. It may be a little heavy for your site.

At-any-rate, this is a great site and I just wanted to throw in my two pennies.

Koster. Thank you for the info. I will fix the request estimate link on the sprinkler page soon.

Qwerty,
I appreciate the in depth analysis! And I am glad you like the site. I have to be honest. Many of your questions relate to the fact that I began building the site without a complete view of what I wanted. I invested too much too quick and had to tag on extra stuff... for example the aeration & tips page were not part of my original plan. It will have to do for this year as I am swamped with other things to do.

My round 2 site will have many of the things you suggested. My layout is going to be a little lighter to speed up download time and allow a more variable amount of content. Do you still think I should lighten the blue background? (jdmowers.com/web2) As far as customer interaction, I plan to get rid of paypal and have my own payment portal, add a 5 star rating and customer review feature for every service we offer, have a message board that we will answer questions/how-to's, and publish a regular newsletter (SEO).

Good point about the adsense, I have been toying with the idea to drop it.. My site should draw people to it, then to meeting us, not to other sites really.

Thanks again and I'll keep in touch with this site, but most my effort (when I get time to put forth an effort) will be on a newly designed site.

David
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Nice site,
Where are you located, I assume North from your service area. We are located in Utah County. I noticed you have a Quick36 picture on your site, do you own a Q36?

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle