Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarboy View Post
Things are great in my area. There's a bunch of 70's and 80's neighbourhoods that have bungalows on 120'x300' lots that are being torn down and new $2mil+ homes are being built so I get a fair bit of work from some builders. Richmond Hill has the 2nd highest avg family income (about $105k) in ON, just behind Oakville, so there's enough money to go around. This is my first year with a truck so I'm looking to increase income by 5 times. I only did about $6k last year (no truck) so I'm looking for $30k+ this year. Lots of that money will come from sod installs and bobcat work. I'm also looking to buy a Dingo 525.

How many people are in your town?
You are going to work all year for a 525?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnworks View Post
You are going to work all year for a 525?
No way, I'll finance it over 3 years.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are still going to work all year for it whether you finance it or not! 30k worth of work all year doesn't even justify buying a used one.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You are still going to work all year for it whether you finance it or not! 30k worth of work all year doesn't even justify buying a used one.
Oh yea, since they're disposable after one year and my business won't grow the next year
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Oh yea, since they're disposable after one year and my business won't grow the next year
Whether you spread the payments over one year or three years... it is still a year's worth of work!

Sigh.... go ahead sink yourself in debt. Its all about the toys anyway right?

Last edited by Lawnworks; 02-06-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Whether you spread the payments over one year or three years... it is still a year's worth of work!

Sigh.... go ahead sink yourself in debt. Its all about the toys anyway right?
You're twisting it for no reason. If you bought a new truck for $60k, I could say "why are you working for X months just for a truck?". You would reply with "I'm paying for it over 5 years so I'm only taking a small bit of earnings each month"

I think over 3 years I'm going to earn about 120k so it really is only 1/4 of that. The amount of 120k thats earned DIRECTLY because of the Dingo will also make it worth while.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it takes money to make money and your not always going to make that back within the next day or next job. But on the same token - don't buy a machine cuz you think you can use it. That is like me buying a 85k mini execavtor when I rent one about 3 times a year. It would not justify the means.

I don't understand how you can project you'll make 120K just with the dingo?? Then how much ya making driving your truck to and from? How much do make with your trailer hauling to and from? and everything else you need to add to the job just to make the dingo work.

Either - way go buy the thing. I would look used but whatever.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You're twisting it for no reason. If you bought a new truck for $60k, I could say "why are you working for X months just for a truck?". You would reply with "I'm paying for it over 5 years so I'm only taking a small bit of earnings each month"
No I prefer to look at the big picture. I would never buy a new 60k truck that will depreciate like a rock. I would rather put that money in the bank or invest in something that will appreciate.

Quote:
I think over 3 years I'm going to earn about 120k so it really is only 1/4 of that. The amount of 120k thats earned DIRECTLY because of the Dingo will also make it worth while.
You don't think you would be better off buying used and then when you can't live w/o the dingo purchasing a new/slightly used one? I bought a 425 two years ago w/ 475 hours for 5k. And I buy used attachment for about a third of what they are new. I still can't come to the conclusion to replace my 425 w/ a new one for 20k even though I use it practically everyday. I guess I am addicted to that black ink.

To me it makes more sense to buy used and then sell it 2-3 years down the road for what I paid for it... or more. It just takes a little patience.

I couldn't really justify spending 20-25k on a newer skid steer that I only used a few times a month.... so I waited and saved. Ended up buying a Cat 248 w/ 2000 hours for $4500. Much easier to justify a paid for machine that doesn't get used 20-30 hours a week.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LAWNWORKS - I here ya. Although I did break down this winter and purchased a new BOBCAT S205 Skid. I did trade in an older skid - got 4 times for what I paid for it 5 years ago and traded in a WAM that was in need of repairs - got 3 times what I paid for that as well. I know the trade vs straight out deals but what was given to-boot, I am better off and in a new machine.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
LAWNWORKS - I here ya. Although I did break down this winter and purchased a new BOBCAT S205 Skid. I did trade in an older skid - got 4 times for what I paid for it 5 years ago and traded in a WAM that was in need of repairs - got 3 times what I paid for that as well. I know the trade vs straight out deals but what was given to-boot, I am better off and in a new machine.
I think it is a little different when you are putting 1000 hours a year on a machine. I buy all my mowers brand new, but on the dingo and skid I only put a few hundred hours a year.

BUT on only 30k of work per year... I don't see how he justifies it. More of a "want" than a "need."