Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-12-2007, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I go full time with business?

I have been working part time and slowly building my business. Currently I gross about $40-45k with benefits between both jobs. My soon to be wife is starting a full time job in January good pay with benefits. I am debating whether or not to go full time with my business. I am currently set up pretty well 2002 chevy 2500hd, john deere 757, wright stander 36 and good hand equipment.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sorry Melvin but you need to grow some, your asking us if you should go full time. lol
Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

what exactly does that mean?

I just want to know if there is more opportunity out there to make a good living and how other people have done
Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't know your market in Orlando. I can only speak from my limited experience in the Port Charlotte/Sarasota area. I moved to this area from Ohio were I left a full time job with benefits (Sheriff Deputy). My wife's mother lives here and my wife needed to be here do to her mothers illness. We left Ohio and relocated here. My intention was to get back into law enforcement until I spoke to a buddy who was making 75K as a LCO with 3 years in the business. I decide that I would like to spend more time with my family (no nights or holidays). I purchased 40 accounts and the equipment from a guy who was moving out of state and I have added another 40+ accounts so far from word of mouth, advertising and quite a bit of luck. I have added another mower and additional equipment. I lack in experience so I have put a guy on with 3 years prior experience and I network with a guy who has 40+ years of experience who helps me bid on jobs and with landscaping. I don't believe I could be where I am at today without their imput. My point is no one on this site can make this decision to go fulltime for you but you. We can just share with you how we got there. Being in the business part time I am sure you know how competitive it is. I am know one special. I just commited myself to this business and changed my lifestyle. You have no guarantee how much money you will make each year so prepare for rough years (save, save, save) but enjoy the good ones.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, I would wait at least one more full year so as to give your wife the room and time she needs to get settled in at her new position. Things are likely to get a little stressful in this time anyhow so the last thing you need is a financial setback, now once your wife is comfy in her position then by next year or perhaps the one after that I think would be a far better choice.

Either way you have to give her that, you'll risk more than your business if you don't, perhaps one piece of advise is discuss this with her at this time and explain to her your situation, so there is an understanding that for now you will sacrifice so she can have things her way and for the benefit of it all, but that you'd like to get this back from her later in this compromise for yourself and your business.

That, to me, is a fair deal.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

The way I see it,... depends on your love for landscaping. When you stumbled into this industry did you feel like the yoke of the American Dream had been lifted? Do you look forward to putting on your shoes in the morning and scraping off the mud around sunset? If the answer to this is uncertain, than I wouldn't recommend the stress involved with customer relations, employee relations, and personal obligations. Once you find your niche, there will be no doubts. Joe Dirt/Sundance Kid (lawnsite.com)