Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-13-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting out, help on pricing please!

I live in MI and am looking to start up a mowing business. I am looking for suggestions on how much to charge. I am having difficulty getting info on how lawn companies base their prices. I am thinking that charging by the job would be the best, but I need some numbers to start from, to get an idea.

I sure would appreciate any help!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try asking some neighbors what they are paying... each area is different. Are you after 1 and 2 acre properties, or 100X80' properties? Do some legwork.... this aint as easy to do as you seem to think. The great small business bluebird of happiness is not gonna fall in your lap from a message board.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Keep comin... I live an hour and a half from Washington DC in rural WV. I get about $40 to $45 an acre. How did I come to that figure? I asked another lawn care guy what he charged, compared that to local competitors and wallla. With that, I knew my market and went out to beat my competition in an effort to acquire new accounts (possibly competitors accounts) by lowballing my first year. I gave great deals in an effort to establish my clientel in the first year. I wanted my name to be known as the most reasonable, bestest quality work ethic... etc.... for the first year. Now, my second year I plan to raise my prices with current clients on the average of five dollars per mow per yard as a norm for pricing new clients. The whole trick is getting your name out in the community as a reliable, hard working, dirt dude. Word of mouth is your best friend and your best advocat for future expansion. Good luck.