Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-25-2007, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjones4 View Post
I had another one today. She approached me as I did her neighbor across the street's yard. I mowed, trimmed, blew it off and left as I was racing nightfall to finish. She emails me today and says I left leaves all along her curbs. Yeah, I did. We never talked about that, she wants those included. Should I say, yes, for an extra fee or go ahead and do it? This is one of four houses side by side that I will be doing weekly this spring/summer and I dont want to blow it. Guess I better suck it up and do it----and learn to look at all these items and discuss them with the homeowner BEFORE I even crank a mower. Live and learn, eh?
I as a matter of rule remove leaves at the curb as part of a cleanup charge. Why would you leave those leaves in the first place?
Old 12-25-2007, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
I as a matter of rule remove leaves at the curb as part of a cleanup charge. Why would you leave those leaves in the first place?
because this was a $40 cut, no cleanup was discussed.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say suck it up and do the curb. If you leave the curb nasty it makes the rest of the yad look nasty, that shoould be included.
But I have only 1 yard with a curb and its on a major highway so the traffic keeps it blowed clean.
2010 Ferris Evolution 48" cut 20 Hp
Kawasaki Line trimmer
Br600 Backpack Blower
Stihl chain saw
Stihl MM 55 Yard Boss
Misc handtools

Pictures of my trailer here

Pictures of some Landscape and structures I've done
Here
Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
Ya beat me to the punch. I , personally, blow off all the hardscapes . Thats included in the cut, trim , blowoff package. Honestly, to me, thats just a given.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ray View Post
When they say we had someone regular, but his truck broke down and he can't get it fixed, you know that trouble is already brewing if you take the lawn.
He cant get it fixed because they beat him down so bad he dosnt even have lunch money!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_005 View Post
Oh Yes. i just had this happen again, i do snow removal for all my lawn customers and we just had a big snow the other day, one older couple i have with the first snow a couple weeks ago was a heavy snow so they are in thier late 70s i did them a favor and brushed the snow off thier car for them, they happy and appreciative, well we got a big snow the other day and i was very busy, i cleared thier driveway which is all they pay me for and all i charge them for, then a couple hours later they called and complained that i didnt brush off thier car for them, NEVER AGAIN ! i told them they have to request it next time and would be an extra charge. Favors are now No More
Well I tell you I learned that one the hard way but good comes of it too:

If I consider doing something special, I immediately consider if I can do it for all my customers.
If the answer is still yes then I start doing it and keep on doing it.
And if the answer is Oh no, then don't do it, that simple.
It's fair, and it works.

Same thing if a customer asks me to do something extra, I consider their suggestion.
Can I do this, and for everybody, from here on out?
If no you can still do it this time but it costs a few bucks, how that works.

That was one of the better solutions I have found in a long time, the results are pretty much win-win.

Other notes: On those occasions where I get caught up in a mess and it's really bad, I do it that one time and kiss up and all that, and they can go ahead and rip me off because it's also over, I don't let on but that's almost always my last time out there.

Last edited by topsites; 12-27-2007 at 05:10 PM.