Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about a case 440?

Wondering what experience you guys have had with case 440 or even any of the 400 series. Considering buying. Doesn't seem as smooth as cat I have, but I love my 1845. So what are advantages and disadvantages of case?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One big disadvantage for me is severe tunnel vision.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why? because you only like bobcat? Not a dealer in my area so bobcat pretty much out of question for me.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

he likes Cat now
Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, seriously, I sat in evey Case CTL/SSL on the lot earlier this Spring and they all had the tunnel vision thing going on, the cabs are so narrow and the loaders are so much higher you feel really boxed in.

You would really have to be a die hard Case fan to really want to buy another Case SSL/CTL after sitting in the cabs of others, hell, even Komatsu's tunnel vision is less than Case.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 440 is in my opinion one of the best of the 400 series machines. The power is awesome. Pound for pound there are few machines that can touch it. Certainly not a CAT. The 246C cant come close to it for hp or torque. The pilot controls are better than the B series CATs. They are more precise than the B series. The components are the same (Rexroth) just CASE did a better job on the valving. I personally like the servo controls just as well. Very smooth, low effort, but for those that want pilots they are offered. The visibility in the CASE is one of best (regardless of what Bobcat may think). The cowling in the back is lower than is the Bobcat and the Cat so rear visibility is better. Visibility to front and sides is very good. I spend most of my time going backward with a Preparator and I can see my wheels and visibility to the sides is important when working around sprinkler heads. No issues with that machine. The cab is not high tech, not a lot of cool lights and things to push. The cab is better on the 440 than that of the 465 but it is spartan. The new machines will be released at Conexpo and they are awesome. The cabs will be among the best on the market, currently I cant say that. Reliablity wise it is rock solid. I have 800 hours on mine and it is about 16 months old. I have worked it hard and the only issue was a cold start sensor that had to be replaced (It failed in sub 30 below zero weather at 9000 feet and I had to pull it 200 miles back home to get it fixed) but that has been the only warranty issue. They are good on fuel for the power they have. The deluxe hand controls are awesome. Allows you to control 4 different hyd. functions from your stick. Very nice although I would like to have both that and the foot control. The ride control of course is awesome increases my productivity when combined with the 2 speed by a wide margin on most jobs. Well worth the money.

My complaints: I wish it was a little heavier. It would put the power to the ground better, better cab, a better counter weight system (the new series 3machines have addressed that as well). I have had to weld angle iron on my buckets in front of the cylinders to keep rocks from getting crushed against the bucket cylinder.

I will say that usually by the time I reach 1000 hours in a machine I am usually ready for the next new machine. I will say that with this 440 I don't feel like that. It is very productive and so reliable and nice to run that it will be hard to trade it off. The lack of a two speed in my 70XT pist me off every time I ran it. They have sold a lot of 440s up here and they are well liked by the guys that have them. The new series will have some great features but I may just put the VTS tracks on this machine and keep it a dedicated VTS track machine and buy another series 3 440. We'll see what I think when I have had a chance to run one of the new machines.

My suggestion is to demo one against anything else in its class and it will dominate any performance based comparison. It may not be the most comfortable cab machine, just depends what is most important to you. Another option is to wait until the series 3 machines release and demo one of those if the cab is of a concern to you. Hopefully they wont monkey with the rest of the machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
No, seriously, I sat in evey Case CTL/SSL on the lot earlier this Spring and they all had the tunnel vision thing going on, the cabs are so narrow and the loaders are so much higher you feel really boxed in.

You would really have to be a die hard Case fan to really want to buy another Case SSL/CTL after sitting in the cabs of others, hell, even Komatsu's tunnel vision is less than Case.
You have got to be kidding me? Tunnel vision? It is hard to argue with logic like that.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ksss, I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks for responses. Fill me in about these controls. Only thing I was shown was controls that come in when you sit down. They are similar to 1845 style but use the whole arm instead of just wrist. Seemed awkward to me but I figured after an hour or two it would be fine. Are pilot controls an option, are they same as cat? Not crazy about the dealer. Salesman seems lazy and doesn't seem to know product. Asked him several questions about counterweights, bucket sizes, warranty, etc. He didn't know. This dealer is only 1 mile from me. Service is a big consideration and this would be convenient but never have really liked this dealer. I currently have a cat 242b with vts. I would like to take vts off of cat (don't like the power or break out force) and put it on the case. Called loegering and they said it will bolt right up with no change. Thought that was pretty sweet. any more comments?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After that sales pitch KSSS i'm sold !!!!! Great input on the 440 and from someone that has the experience and having used his machine for that many hour you have a good review from an actual owner,not a no nothing saleman at your dealership.

With that said i would seat down and have a long talk with the owner of the dealership and check with some of the locals, that have dealed with them, not only with sales but service back in the shop area.Never know you might still need them,might get a machine built on Christmas holiday weekend.

By the way there is a difference in tunnel vision,tunnel blind,and color blind!!!!! Guess we all have a little of that,me included at times

KSSS your missing the boat

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I have been around several Case machines including the 440 and I think it is one of the best out there. As far as the tunnel vision the cab seems a little more narrow when sitting in side but over all I think it is not bad to see out of at all. I feel if you buy a Case you will be a very happy customer. I have nothing bad to say about a Case machine. Case tends to put allot of pride into there machines and they have been making skid steers a good while now. I think Deere is finally catching up with Case in the skid steer market. I like the Cat skid steers but as far as there MTL's go give me a Case, Takeuchi, or Deere any day at this time. Once I see Cat has the undercarriage bugs worked out I may feel different but until I know for sure they are I will stick with what is proven.