Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Before I submit my proposal on this lighting job, I thought I should first solicit the ideas of my fellow lighting contractors.
I have a large project to design for a developer. Included in this proposal is a 200' bridge that spans a marsh. There are concrete borders on both sides of the lanes that are about 2.5' tall. The developer took it upon himself to have junction boxes installed every 25' along the bridge on both sides because he wants some very low light to define the drive way onto this island. Keep in mind that these lights will be surface mounted, and they will be only about 18" off the ground. He did provide conduit between j-boxes, but it is only 1/2" Sched.40 grey electrical conduit.
Here's my dilemma:
1.) What fixture can you recommend that will cover the j-box?
2.) Being that the conduit is only 1/2", what kind of wiring method would you use? There are 9 lights, spaced 25' apart on both sides. 200' from the first fixture to the last.

Looking forward to some great responses!

Don't know about fixture selection without seeing a picture, but do have a suggestion on the type of wire to use. How about a 3 conductor romex? 10 gauge with 3 wires and a ground making four wires so you only have to pull once? Just a thought
Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why not just go with line voltage fixtures for that section? It would be a lot easier pulling one strand of romex through and not having to worry about VD with limited access. Just a thought. Sometimes the best choice is not always a 12 volt fixture.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-17-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm still considering line voltage for the install, but this is exactly why I want everyone's input. Nothing has yet to be ruled out.
Please tell me your Line v fixture selection when you have seen the pic.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll wait for the pics.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Look forward to seeing them Chris.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfree View Post
Don't know about fixture selection without seeing a picture, but do have a suggestion on the type of wire to use. How about a 3 conductor romex? 10 gauge with 3 wires and a ground making four wires so you only have to pull once? Just a thought
Romex inside of conduit is a code violation
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Why not just go with line voltage fixtures for that section? It would be a lot easier pulling one strand of romex through and not having to worry about VD with limited access. Just a thought. Sometimes the best choice is not always a 12 volt fixture.
Drats, you guys are getting ahead of me here...

I was going to suggest line voltage wiring to each junction box with a Lightech-75w electronic transformer inside each J-box to power up a LV fixture...

nah, I will stop and wait for the photos...

later.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pics are coming, but I don't think I'm going to have very much room in these J-boxes for much more than a splice connection. In fact, as I will show you with the pics, some of the J-boxes have been squished together by the concrete pour which may distort the screw locations.....Anyway, pics still to come.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wheres the Pics....James is on to something, before I got to his post the same thought was in my head. Line voltage pulled thru and then utilize our line voltage conversion kit to transform to 12v and mount our Quasar 2 or an Orion sconce light. Not sure of the size of the J Box. If it is say a 4x4 box then maybe you could use a larger Orion Sconce which you can order in 120v and just be done with the low voltage conversion.

To run a T is still going to require you to fit more than one wire through your conduit which sounds like it would be hard to do if running 10 Guage. If you are using units that go beyond 15v then you could still run 12guage and have no problem distributing voltage to the first connection. How you wire it and distribute it from there is up to you, not sure of the T method rules but I dont think you want inconsistant voltage here. Seems like you could still do a Hub system but your conduit is the real deal breaker here.

Lets see the pics.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the photos. As you can see by the picture of the j-boxes, the contractors didn't do such a great job of keeping them clean. This is going to take an enormous amount of time to chisel out all of the concrete as most of them have concrete in the ends of the conduit (don't know how I'm gonna do that either).
Anyway, there are a total of 27 j-boxes. 9 down each side of the road, and 9 along that walkway (all spaced 25' apart) There is only power available from one end. Again, I need a fixture that will cover these holes, and I need recommendations on wiring methods. There is not enough room in these 1/2" conduits for multiple runs of 10 guage wire (nor 12 guage). I'm thinking that my only solution is to do it in line voltage, but I'll need suggestions on fixtures in line voltage as well.
Just for reference, the last picture is the view when you come across the bridge and enter the front of the club house. All those bags are pavers which are being laid very soon.
Thanks everybody!
Attached Images