Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2007, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chris:

Wow, I hope they have a serious budget.

I don't have nearly enough time to type out all of my ideas for this bridge on here Chris, but I do have some pretty novel ideas you might want to tap into. So, please call me Tomorrow (705-801-7232 is my cell)

I have one idea that could make use of all the j-boxes and I have another idea that would see you abandoning the j-boxes all together! There is another way.

Cant get into it now as my bride is calling....

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

One more view. This is the parking lot, which will also be illuminated (no advice needed on this). At the far end of the parking area, there is a large deck overlooking the marsh. To the left, there is a long dock leading to the marina. I wanted to get a few more pics, but the camera batteries died. Yes, very large project and a serious budget.
Attached Images

Member AOLP, CLVLT #0638
FL Lic#ES12000428
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

due to your limited conduit size I would have to agree linevoltage would be the way to go especially since you probably have some debris in the conduits from the looks of thoes boxes

http://kimlighting.com/kl-1329.pdf

What about round wall forms with either exposed or flat lenses in them ?

The hooded lenses might be great for casting light out onto that walkway.

You can get them in about any configuration you can imagine from metal halide to sodium to compact floro.

Really a shame you were not invited when the bridge was being built to specify your design and place your conduits and boxes acordingly. Looks like an excellent project.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man Chris, you got shafted on this one my friend. The contractors that set those boxes just stuck the conduit into them and didn't even use connectors (which is against code). Your going to play hell just cutting them off inside the boxes. Use string for this, bring the string around the back side and use it as a saw. It will cut right through that conduit.

I would go with line voltage on this puppy, I would bet that the conduit has debris in it which will really limit the wires that you will be able to pull. You can use the 120/12 adapters in the boxes if you choose to use low voltage fixtures though.

The sconce lights that Joey is talking about will easily cover those boxes but they may end up being too close the the ground once those pavers are set. I'll look at some of my catalogs to see if there are any other options here.

Good luck to you on this one!!

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Orion 4's should work fine but your main issue will be deciding how to wire it. I agree with Paul and think you should pull 120v then if you are going to use a LV fixture you just have to wire in a 75w step down TF in the box. My 120v Orions are to big for this wall I think.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Chris this is a time you can use a 24 volt lighting system.............now you can pull 14/2 thhn, this will in able you to pull enough wire through the conduite. I can give you a drawing and fax back if you like. Orion 9 would be a nice fixture on the walls. You then could anchor the begnining and end with an endever fixture. this will help soften the surrounding area.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I like nates endevor idea at each end but im not crazy about orions on the walkway. Thats a short wall and they probably wont have enough space to spread out. You need something with bigger photo metrics on that walkway. Less on the roadway just to serve as decorative

Keep in mind they will also be shining up as well which may cause glare for people using the walkway due to the low hieght of the wall. If the wall and j boxes were taller the orions would be the logical choice.This is why I suggested the kims. Nice photometrics and an array of lamp choices. Critical on your 25 ft spacing.

Obviously on the road there it will be more decorative than useful anyways With all the fixtures being in a row having balanced voltage will be critical.

Man what you could of done to this bridge had you been given the chance to prewire it!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

BTW I called Nate to tell him he is crazy about Orion 9's he's such a rookie sometimes. He meant Orion 6 or 4. Much smaller. Orion 4's would work I think perfectly?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I searched through my application photo archives and these are the best photos I can find to show you the Orion 4 and 6

This photo shows the Orion 4's on a staircase. They 1 20w Xelogen in them, you could drop wattage to 10w.

This picture shows the orion 6 in the day. You can tell that they are really not all that big.

And then here are the Orion 6's lit up, these are a little hot and could be dropped to 10w as well.

Billy's KIM lights may be a better option.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

how high are thoes boxes ? 12-16 inches ? Still orions offer the uplight and there is not much to uplight there. Need a light that throws light out as well as side to side. Linevoltage and perhaps dimable controls all the way.

Is there a theme to this property chris ? perhaps we can come up with a fixture that echos that theme ?