Register free!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The uplightmay pick up some of the posts and or rope. Might look cool, but i agree with Billy on the spread, Orions may not give you to much width.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you guys need to offer a cap for the tops of thoes.... they look nice on the stairs but the glare coming up kills the effect.

I love the fixture dont get me wrong. Looks awsome mounted on walls or to replace glare bomb porch lights.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didnt mean to turn chris's post into an Orion post. I just wanted to be thorough in giving the info on it.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
I didnt mean to turn chris's post into an Orion post. I just wanted to be thorough in giving the info on it.
Ya Ya, Sure, Sure.... Just more blatant Unique self promotion and "pop"aganda

You would think these guys were sponsors here or something.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sponsors? We practiclly own this site!!! j/k It is a luxury to show you guys the pictures when discussing the products!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I talked to Chris on the phone today...

To bring you all up to date, (the short version)

I recommended a line voltage wiring solution, (if he can find an electrical contractor who would take on that mess of conduit and j-boxes) and Nightscaping Brass Turtles, wall mounted with the lens aimed down. These fixtures have a great optical spread lens and have a large enough body cavity that the Lightech LET-75 transformer can be installed inside the fixture, allowing for room in those 'switch box / j-boxes' for the wiring connections.

Or. Walk away from the road surface and simply light the pedestrian surface by mounting copper postliters on the wood rail structure.

Or. A combination of both techniques.

Or. Use that 2" hemp rope to hide a LV wire solution between the wood posts that sit atop the concrete wall. I have seen large rope like this that can be twisted against its bias and then the wire can be inserted into the center of the rope.. release it and the rope returns to original shape with the wire embedded. It may be a possibility and would be a lot more direct for wiring and probably less time consuming.

Lots of "outside the box" possibilities here.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-20-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
due to your limited conduit size I would have to agree linevoltage would be the way to go especially since you probably have some debris in the conduits from the looks of thoes boxes

http://kimlighting.com/kl-1329.pdf

What about round wall forms with either exposed or flat lenses in them ?

The hooded lenses might be great for casting light out onto that walkway.

You can get them in about any configuration you can imagine from metal halide to sodium to compact floro.

Really a shame you were not invited when the bridge was being built to specify your design and place your conduits and boxes acordingly. Looks like an excellent project.
Good luck.
Your right Billy. It would have been nice if they would have thought about this ahead of time. The developers are expecting this place to be the "toast of the town" but they left a little to be desired in the way of planning for the illumination. Even the power distribution is now a problem as they didn't pre-plan for power through-out the property. Because there will be numerous lamp posts throughout the property, we are contemplating pulling receptacles out of the bases of some of these lamp posts to feed the transformers. They don't have a specific electrical contractor under contract for this yet, so I have no one to correspond with as it relates to my intentions. It's a big mess to say the least, and it makes me nervous to be involved.
As far as you Kim recommendation, do you have any specific fixture in mind for this app? There is really no specific theme, other than the fact that everything else I will be doing will be in some form of aged brass. It is a country club/marina, so maybe that could provide for a theme if available. The most important issue in my mind at this point is a quality fixture for this harsh environment, and one that will suit this difficult situation.
Thanks for everyone's help so far. Keep the ideas coming if you have anymore!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the kim wall forms in the round shape is what I was looking at with the half face. It would cast down and out but not up.

they do have dark bronze as a finish option. Keep in mind this is a silicone based aluminum fixture with a titanium zircon powdercoat and should hold up just fine. Other materials may be avalible or you may find a similar fixture in the material you want. The fixture has passed salt spray tests tho and Kim has always been top notch for us in the past.

James idea of hiding a wire inside the rope is inovative but is it plausible and would having a wire concealed in a material that is combustible conform to NEC regulations ? Its a great idea but I think it would be frowned upon by the inspectors. This is something you would need to consider before attempting that.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chris keep in mind Direct Bural transformers. And for the record last night Nate made it clear that his idea of the Orion 9 was for it to be installed horizontally to light up the wall from side to side. PACK THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT BILLY!! NO GLARE NOW

LOL

I'm on a good one today folks!!! Its friday and Unique is haveing a PAAAAAAARRRRRTTYYYYY!!!

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 12-21-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Chris keep in mind Direct Bural transformers. And for the record last night Nate made it clear that his idea of the Orion 9 was for it to be installed horizontally to light up the wall from side to side. PACK THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT BILLY!! NO GLARE NOW

LOL

I'm on a good one today folks!!! Its friday and Unique is haveing a PAAAAAAARRRRRTTYYYYY!!!
I must have missed where nate said that because i looked back (maybe too quickly) and still missed that

Would that not glare in peoples faces more as they see the light from a distance when they traverse a path ? I like unique and think nate is a great designer but he needs to think outside the (unique) box this time. True the wall would look great but it wouldnt be too functional if the light didnt spill onto the pathway. Perhaps im wrong here but being that this is a commercial public/private space and not a residence you need to provide safer passage.

What have you decided Chris. Your the designer here and it will ultimatly be your choice.