Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I must have missed where nate said that because i looked back (maybe too quickly) and still missed that

Would that not glare in peoples faces more as they see the light from a distance when they traverse a path ? I like unique and think nate is a great designer but he needs to think outside the (unique) box this time. True the wall would look great but it wouldnt be too functional if the light didnt spill onto the pathway. Perhaps im wrong here but being that this is a commercial public/private space and not a residence you need to provide safer passage.

What have you decided Chris. Your the designer here and it will ultimatly be your choice.
with those fixtures mounted sideways I would imagine you'd be looking right into the business end of the lamp and socket. Especially dangerous if you are driving over that bridge. But what do I know.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
with those fixtures mounted sideways I would imagine you'd be looking right into the business end of the lamp and socket. Especially dangerous if you are driving over that bridge. But what do I know.
The young jedi can teach master yoda a few new tricks. Sorry Nate, Now if you had a deck light on steroids (8 incher) I could see going that route. Plus keep in mind you dont want anything that gets insanly hot... The arcitectual alluminum might be better since this is an exposed application plus you can choose a cooler lamp type.

Had this been a taller wall with a much higher mounting point the wall scones would of looked SAWEEEET
Old 12-23-2007, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris,

I would do a heat test on anything before you install it. Ask the mfr if they know how hot their fixture gets...they dont know, all they'll say is that is passed testing...woopee...I'd think twice about using brass unless you heat test it or you'll have a a lawyer of some over protective mom calling you 1 year down the road calling you to court for the 2nd degree burns on the kids hands...set up a demo for a weekend, run them 24/7 and see if they pass your kids hands test...I always keep my 4 year old in mind when designing a systems esp in public areas.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the fixtures I suggested are alluminum and I would consider kim to be as good as anything else out there. If you have ever handled or used one of thier fixture you will know what i mean.

I have never used compact flouro lamps before... do they run cooler ? They are avalible in the fixtures. Doug is head on tho. Need something that will not only hold up but will operate cool as well. Not only for the possibility of people touching it but to protect thoes plastic boxes from becoming brittle as they cook nightly.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

man I can't believe what I've been through this year but as of today's date I would recommend a CF bulb with a medium base socket, E26/27, with a 5 or 7watt 2600 kelvin lamp, in a good quality brass fixture, IF AND ONLY IF, you use 120volt. If you go low volt go aluminum because of the heat. Check the elements of the box and all hardware to ensure that you gdont have anything but stainless touching another kind of metal.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow guys, you've really got my head spinning on this one now. I agree about the heat issues, but this property is ocean front. I don't know if I can stomach the aluminum idea or not. My head is starting to hurt.......
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you go compact floro you wont need alum. Runs cooler so the heat build up wont turn it into a hand burning device for small childeren. If your awarded the contract may pay to consult with a leading lighting designer who has experience in line voltage. Dougs a kim dist... ask him to check and see if you can get thoes lights in brass or copper and compact floro we already know is an option. Or ... have nightscaping create the johnson lighter
Old 12-25-2007, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Is this a commerical job or on public space...............are you contracting this from the city or state? If the answer is yes on any of these then you must meet a certain foot candle level on the ground. if that is the case I would only use some type of a HID 120 volt light to insure even light thought out the road. Maybe you should do a photometric study.............
Old 12-25-2007, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
Is this a commerical job or on public space...............are you contracting this from the city or state? If the answer is yes on any of these then you must meet a certain foot candle level on the ground. if that is the case I would only use some type of a HID 120 volt light to insure even light thought out the road. Maybe you should do a photometric study.............
The job is on private property. It is a second phase to a well established gated community. This phase is the country club / marina, and the bridge is the entrance to the front of the club house area (see photos). There are actually three more bridges on this property that lead to this island, but that phase is a later project. I just need to accomplish this design first. Time is running out as I am putting together my estimates this week (whether it includes the bridge or not). If you can help, I would certainly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

even tho its a private property it will be used by the membership and their guests. The rules for FC may not apply but I would try to stick to em. Pedestrians will still need safe passage... especially after the adult beverages flow.