Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ALL great points, and just to reiterate:

You have 20 lawns...if he adds 19, you're already losing money.

If he brings 21 then you might be $15-$30 bucks ahead...BUT you are now traveling/driving=wasting time X 2.

Bottom line: you ONLY make money when you are moving forward AND you are behind your mower.

Running your own business entitles you to more freedom(s) than a partnership...plain and simple.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis3412 View Post
Here's the situation. I am a high school teacher and in the summer I mow aound 20 lawns. Now, I have a fellow teacher who wants to partner up.

I am wondering how many total lawns (with 2 guys 50/50) we would need to make the same amout of money?
That's a stupid question coming from a teacher. No wonder the world is getting dumb-er everyday.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know that's probably the best explanation I've heard for it: If you can't triple your business with one partner, don't do it.
My take on it is that other teacher could just start one of his own, honestly speaking what's the difference?
Now it may not seem like it, but those two explanations actually boil down to the same thing.

So my recommendation is run 4-5 years solo, then you can re-consider, once you have all these answers.
It's all the same in the end, I almost think your chances improve going it alone, but I'm not willing to back that up, just a thought.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

BFLL

I am not even going to respond to some idiot on here saying some question is dumb. You dumb a$%! Get a life.
Stihl FS55 Trimmer
Stihl Backpack Blower
Old 12-19-2007, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

look at it this way, if you want to buy something you will have to ask your partner, now if you were solo, you could just buy it.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really can't see what you gain adding a partner. You have the custs, you have the equip, if you get enough work where you need help you can hire a kid or get a temp why cut someone in on your pie?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLL View Post
That's a stupid question coming from a teacher. No wonder the world is getting dumb-er everyday.
hey BFL have you ever thought that he does not get paid enough to support his family teaching the future citizens of America .. teachers don't teach for the money . most teach for the joy of teaching .. if he has questions and you think that it's not worth reading , then pass the post don't respond. you sound very uneducated and i can't see how you have made it this far inn life with the out look you have .. have a good day my friend......
Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

More often than not a 50/50 partnership in a labor intensive industry doesen't work out. their needs to be a chain of command. with out a general pointing in a direction you will get lost. Now imagine 2 Generals pointing in different directions where do you go?

resolve this issue up front right now and you may have a better chance.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are to funny, you have a teacher who can't add, and another guy who think people actually work for the pure joy of it.
Don't forget my friend we all work for money no matter what it is. Money is the only reason we work, If he enjoys working as a teacher then maybe he should get two teaching jobs.

If your going to ask how to add, then don't put up that your a Teacher.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFLL View Post
You guys are to funny, you have a teacher who can't add, and another guy who think people actually work for the pure joy of it.
Don't forget my friend we all work for money no matter what it is. Money is the only reason we work, If he enjoys working as a teacher then maybe he should get two teaching jobs.

If your going to ask how to add, then don't put up that your a Teacher.
Nobody goes into teaching because they think they are going to make a lot of money. I would imagine the reasons they choose this profession are diverse. Oh by way the answer to this question would not be 40. The question actually can not be answered because the travel time and the size of the new accounts are unknown. The answer could be as little as one huge account.