Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to contact Vermeer Wisconsin, the ASV dealer in Butler, WI. They are located west on I-94 on the outskirts of Milwaukee (probably a little less than an hour away from you). I know that they sell quite a few RC100s with brush cutters so they should be very knowledgeable. I have dealt with them in the past and they have been very easy to work with. Ask for Mark.

The RC100 cab has plenty of room compared to the other machines out there with the exception being the Takeuchi. I know it is bigger than the CAT C series because I have been in both of them. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I like CAT Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post
CAT has the same undercarriage on its new C series machines - I just bought the 297 I love it - I also bought the 315 mulcher head - When I get it back I will post some pics and a video of the attachment in action. - I would highly recommend that you at least demo the CAT machine before you buy ASV - I don't think you be disappointed...

Here is my question: Is the CAT model C "series II suspension" the same as the "ISR-4" suspension/undercarraige of the SR-70/80?

Moreover, is the CAT model "C" based upon the design (weight & balance) of their wheeled skidsteers? I ask these questions, because I work in marsh and lake front areas.

FYI - the CAT dealership is not far from me and that is important to me. However, I do need a machine that will perform well in wetland areas.

I'm all ears... John
Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CAT is using the virtually the same undercarriage as ASV (they buy them from ASV) except that they have started to use a drivemotor/planetary drive combination and ASV only uses a drive motor. ALL of their MTLs are based off of their skid steer chassis, so yes I believe that the weight and balance will be similar to their skids. The track on the ground will help to offset the rear weighted orientation of their chassis, however, their departure angles and ground clearances are very similar to their skids and most of the chassis weight is still toward the back of the machine.

I have been told that the main difference between the two machines (RC100 and 297C) in brush cutting is that the RC100 has much more engine torque to run the brush cutter when it is really being worked. The ASV dealer told me it had 40% more engine torque. The best bet would be to demo both of them. I know that ASV just released a new two speed brush cutter in conjunction with Fecon so i would test that out as well.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The CAT C series can be bought/ordered with the single level suspension which means torsion axles on all 4 corners but the roller wheels are all stationary, or the dual level suspension, torsion axles and all the roller wheels are paired together on bogie systems.

Only the 277-297's have this as an option, the 247-257 only have single. ASV has the dual level on the machines above the SR-70, which is the machine closest to comparison to the Cat 257 or the older 267.

If I was always working in really soft conditions I'd go for the ASV, they are lighter, compare the weights of the 297C vs the 90hp ASV machine, BIG difference, that's where ASV has everyone beat, they are also built from the tracks up, meaning they are not just another skid steer frame sitting on a track system, they are meant for the tracks and the tracks are meant for the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The CAT MTL's are not modifications of the skid steer chassis - it is a ground - up engineered track machine the CG and other characteristics are resemblant only in coincidence, as both machines are designed so that the operator will not notice much difference between the two - the 297 has much more power than the ASV machine, and if i recall correctly there is not any other machine on the market right now that can compete with the shear power, and tractive effort of the 297 - It can really put the power to the ground much better than the 287 - It was like night and day! - the people that are posting info here - are based purely on experience and I can assure you - I have owned almost every brand out there and CAT beats em all... Do yourself a favor and test the CAT -- you wont have to ask anymore questions..
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So I'm guessing that's the biggest change into the C series then, the rubber tired loaders are actually MTL chassis with tires then?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-19-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraformer View Post
Here is my question: Is the CAT model C "series II suspension" the same as the "ISR-4" suspension/undercarraige of the SR-70/80?

Moreover, is the CAT model "C" based upon the design (weight & balance) of their wheeled skidsteers? I ask these questions, because I work in marsh and lake front areas.

FYI - the CAT dealership is not far from me and that is important to me. However, I do need a machine that will perform well in wetland areas.

I'm all ears... John
If your working in wetland areas you might want to go with the wider tracks.I was thinking i read where the Asv has a 20" track as an option.Not sure ,but thought i read that.You need to check that out.

More floation,not sure they help that much more for traction,but the wider the track the better the psi pressure is to the ground surface.Like they say you just need to demo and make your choice from here.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUGNIER View Post
The CAT MTL's are not modifications of the skid steer chassis - it is a ground - up engineered track machine the CG and other characteristics are resemblant only in coincidence, as both machines are designed so that the operator will not notice much difference between the two - the 297 has much more power than the ASV machine
I think that CAT makes a good machine, however, someone has seriously misinformed you, or sold you a bill of goods. The CAT MTLs are indeed based directly off of their skid steer chassis. The 297C is merely the 272C on the ASV undercarriage..same engine, same ground clearance, departure angles, hydraulic tanks, fuel tanks, etc. It is simply fitted to the ASV undercarriage by removing the chain cases and axles.

I have no doubt that the 297C has excellent traction, but the engine hp while being 90hp seems close to the RC100 it is produced out of the the same 3.3L engine that the ASV SR80 uses..ask your CAT dealer what the engine torque is. I would bet that it isn't over 220ft lbs. The RC100 produces over 300ft lbs of torque out of a 4.4L engine. That's a big difference.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I think I should clarify a few things for those whom do not fully understand what goes into design criteria of heavy equipment - designs are generally function over form in favor of operator safety. Cabs and chassis begin there life as a means of protecting the operator in a predetermined type of environment, and then address whether or not you can perform the task you are setting out to do after other basic issues such as horsepower, hydraulic flow rates, suspension systems, etc.. etc... have been addressed - it is then left up to the manufacturer to decide if the function and the job this machine has to perform will be easy for the operator to endure. Some companies like CAT take the science of ergonomics and study how can they make the life of the operator better in their cab. As we all know the more comfortable a cab is - the longer we are able to sustain work without getting fatigued. Now the Cabs and Chassis of the MTLS and SSL's that are manufactured by CAT - have addressed the concerns of everything above. Furthermore HP of a engine in a piece of hydraulic machinery is not a good measure of power - the engine PTO operates a hydraulic pump - not the wheels, or the tracks directly. Overall weight, displacement of the tracks, suspension, and traction control systems determine the "tractive effort" output of a particular machine. This is a better measure of performance. Now I don't claim to be a expert on Cat, or any other manufacturer for that matter - however - two degrees in engineering might count for something. And yes the ASV 100 machine has a 4.4 liter engine - but it does not have the newer cab design, suspension or benefit of the newer undercarriage - which all equate to power to the ground. I have operated the ASV and found it to be a bit clunky for my taste, but that is just personal preference - Once again - you need to go operate the equipment in your work environment to determine what works best for you...
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

^GMUGNIER
Just to clarify... is that the RC100 that you're referring to as "clunky"?

It's just that I am soon to buy either a Cat 297 or an RC80... I'm leaning to the RC80. To demo all my options I'd have to fly ~3500km so it's not really practical. I've done a lot of research of my own but have been following this thread keenly, and have read every thread here re CTL's over and over :-) Service is not a worry as we have our own fitter plus a good rapport with Cat (who have a dealer here... a plus) and ASV (but the dealer is 3500km away). However the ASV dealer has been !extremely! helpful with sourcing and fitting a laser controlled box grader, while Cat is never really struck on going outside the square.
Christmas is the last excuse to procrastinate, then it's decision time :-)