Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Correction: That's the SR80 we're considering... not the RC80

Last edited by ianh; 12-20-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The SR series of machines from ASV are very similar in design to the CAT and the undercarriages are almost identical - Actually I prefer the wider track on the ASV but I went with the CAT, and yes - I was referring to the older design on the ASV 100 that I tried - as being clunky - I kinda like the new ASV's and the instruments on the safety bars are ingenious. If you look closely you will notice that the inside of the cabs are very similar - CAT and ASV did a great job on the redesign of the new C series and the SR's as well. - I really don't like the Perkins engine - but once again - just preference....
Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

ASV SR-80 has 20" track as standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Construct'O View Post
If your working in wetland areas you might want to go with the wider tracks.I was thinking i read where the Asv has a 20" track as an option.Not sure ,but thought i read that.You need to check that out.

More floation,not sure they help that much more for traction,but the wider the track the better the psi pressure is to the ground surface.Like they say you just need to demo and make your choice from here.

Good luck
Construct'O - you are correct in that the ASV SR-80 has 20 inch track as part of their standard package.

John

P.S. - again everyone is providing great information.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Tks, GMUGNIER
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Digdeep for your recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
You may want to contact Vermeer Wisconsin, the ASV dealer in Butler, WI. They are located west on I-94 on the outskirts of Milwaukee (probably a little less than an hour away from you). I know that they sell quite a few RC100s with brush cutters so they should be very knowledgeable. I have dealt with them in the past and they have been very easy to work with. Ask for Mark.

The RC100 cab has plenty of room compared to the other machines out there with the exception being the Takeuchi. I know it is bigger than the CAT C series because I have been in both of them. Good luck.
After the holidays I will go to Vermeer. I work 30 miles south of you, Evansville area, and around lake Koshkonong. I find it interesting that I have not seen a skid/CTL with either a brush cutter or mulching head - even though I go out of my way to see what's on someone's trailer or work site. Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas or missing something. If you have different experiences or wisdom that you're willing to share... I'm all ears!

John
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraformer View Post
Construct'O - you are correct in that the ASV SR-80 has 20 inch track as part of their standard package.

John

P.S. - again everyone is providing great information.
I liked the new tread design on the ASV machines,only thing i think again it was on only the smaller machine like the 50 series.

Hope some of the other track companys will design different treads.

I work nearly all dirt ,so would like to see deeper tread for the mud that i have to work in.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Different tread design?

Is this different from the straight lugs then?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would definitely go with the series 2 undercarriage for maintenance reasons. CAT machines are easier to work on than ASV's, but I like the visibility of the ASV.
All ASV dealers close to me are gone so I will likely be going with a 257B series 2
next time. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

asv rs 70

I have a sr-70 with 181 hrs, great machine WHEN it's running. In the first year I had to replace all gauges, 2 starters, ignition, several relays, & now the float has quit. If I wouldn't have kept my wheel machine as a back up, I would have been screwed last year. Service guys seem to know NOTHING about these machines & there seems to be no contact between ASV & selling company......as if they were made on a different planet! Such a shame such a fine machine is not being supported by it's maker!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

man your digging up all the old threads and just pasting the same stuff in there...ASV will change now that Terex owns them