Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am pleased to inform everyone that I have managed to unload my ASV RC30.I have read the above comments and say again re over working machine,I can only carry one bucket load of soil at a time and all my work is hourly hire so I am not in a hurry.
I looked at the cat 297C ,there are 64 wheels in the undercarriage.Thats a lot wheels and bearings to replace and still has torsion bar suspension which as has been proved ,collapses when carrying around wet soil.
Have gone for new Takeuchi TL240 ,it has a lot less to go wrong.Here in Sydney we get the same hourly rate for TL240 as we do for a RC100 or cat 297 .Hopefully I wont be spending a fortune on maintance.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
I am pleased to inform everyone that I have managed to unload my ASV RC30.I have read the above comments and say again re over working machine,I can only carry one bucket load of soil at a time and all my work is hourly hire so I am not in a hurry.
I looked at the cat 297C ,there are 64 wheels in the undercarriage.Thats a lot wheels and bearings to replace and still has torsion bar suspension which as has been proved ,collapses when carrying around wet soil.
Have gone for new Takeuchi TL240 ,it has a lot less to go wrong.Here in Sydney we get the same hourly rate for TL240 as we do for a RC100 or cat 297 .Hopefully I wont be spending a fortune on maintance.
And why wouldn't you? It is after all the same size as the tl150. So it seems to me anyway that you now have a machine of proper size. Big differance between a rc 30 and tl150/tl240.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fellow Countryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
Ausman yes you are correct I was screwed and continue to be screwed ,2006 RC30 with enclosed cab and crisp air air con and 4in1 bucket $62000.00aud.
Sorry you are sounding like our robbing dealer when you say we are over working the machine .It can only carry 1 bucket load of soil at a time ,so are these machines not designed to work 8 hr days 5 days a week like all other makes?
For all considering ASV gear here are some facts .The idler wheel bearings do not have seals so they start falling of at 200 hrs.ASV has put a round metal disc on stub axles which is in contact with inside of wheels .This disc rubs against inside of wheels and wears inside of wheel away including circlip groove ,circlip comes out of now none existent groove .grit destroys dust seal and then bearing.
front torsion bar suspension collapses at about 400 hrs(not designed to carry wet sticky mud as in earthmoving).weld steel blocks to frame to hold front of machine up off tracks,dont have suspension now.
if there is a electricail problem machine may stop at any time eg bucket half way up cant lower bucket down so cant open door to get out of machine.
Supports holding arms to machine ,welds starting to crack.
starter motor does not engage ,brought new one from dealer $700.00 ,200 hrs later this one is not always engaging and have been told can get same starter motor from cat dealer for $170.00
I could go on and I am only 1 of 3 RC30 owners that I Know off and they could tell you how drive motor axles break every 700 hrs.
please Ausman if you love RC30 so much take mine and get me out of my misery.
As for the dealer I have had to get the dept of fair trading involved to get any warranty work done
Please any body reading this dont buy these machines ,They will ruin you.
Bad luck must follow the RC30 around!!!!!!!

Today, 08:52 AM #81
DILLIGAF
Probationary Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had a positrack for about three years now aswell as other gear, and i can definatly say that they are unbelievable at going where the others cant as i work with a lot of wet clay, they have more than enough power and a very smooth ride, good visability ect, however this all has come at huge expense, its had 5 drive motor failure's in the last 400 hours alone and in all of its 1800hours has done about ten drive shafts/motors and is sending me broke, i have always taken such good care of all of my machines, they get a full "mini" service at the end of every day with a good washdown and close inspection, and all of my machines have been so reliable with almost no breakdowns (one fanbelt in nearly 4yr's on the kubota digger), now its come to the stage that i would feel too much guilt to sell this demon to some other poor bloke so i'm unsure what to do. I really need a machine like this for the sort of work im doing, the guys from the dealership workshop have no idea what the problem is and cant give me an explaination, Is it just a lemon? Do i trade it on a new one (cos the thought of that makes me cringe) do i set fire to it? or have a priest perform an exorcism on it
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

No it is not bad luck .These machines were never designed or built to do work in the earthmoving game.
Unfortunatley buyers are being fooled by crooked dealers when they tell us these machines are tough and durable.
These same dealers tell us there is 1000 hr warrantie on tracks ,what they dont tell us is that it is pro rater eg 500 hr on track so ASV so thats half of the 1000 hrs so ASV credit your account with half the cost of a track.You still have to pay full price up front for track.I cant believe that legaly they can get away with that.
A friend has a new RC30 (310 hrs) snapped a drive axle yesterday.Today he rang Takeuchi re trading RC30 in .So I am pleased that is one more person I have steered away from ASV.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

It sounds to me like the troubles are with the RC30. I have heard of problems with the RC100, but most of these are related to its use as a Forestry mulcher. I have an SR80, and I do have a wish list, but it does perform well. These machines are new technology and are bound to have growing pains. The only real problem I see is factory reliance on dealers to handle research and development issues and large scale quality control problems as warranty defects. I would guess that ASV is making many changes within model years. My machine had a bad starter, which personnel at Perkins concede was caused by a bad lot. The factory should have replaced the starters but rather relied on luck and their dealer network to handle it. As a result I not only had lost time and money caused by the defective part, but the continuing pains of wiring harness issues. ASV should have made a factory recall on the starter and affected components, now they should recall the machine. ASV cannot continue to pass the cost of large-scale design and quality issues to the customer. These are beyond what typical dealers expect and are capable of handling. If these issues cannot be handle on the assembly line, what I would like to see is a factory response team that is trained and equipped to handle known issues. When a dealer verifies these issues this team would take over at the dealer or customer's location. ASV has a good thing but they cannot depend on customer excitement to carry them. ASV needs to get excited about reliability.

jmf

Last edited by jmf; 07-11-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Corrrection

Sorry it was and RC60 machine instead of the RC30
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont know if the problems are confined only to the RC 30- on another site, some one had a RC 60 that ate drive motors, something like 5 in 400 hrs. The motors on a ASV are subjected to a couple of types of loads-torsional (twisting), and the real killer-lateral(side to side) Cat saw this, and has bolted the motors to planetaries on some of its newer machines. This eliminates the lateral load on the drive motor. Your post JMF was well said.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

RC30 drive motor

Anyone know what brand? Seems a 'bit' dear from ASV