Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Paint color formula

I have read some posts on here that others were looking for the paint color on their Scag mowers for autom0tive paint as an alternative to the expensive, poor quality, rattle can spray bombs the dealer sells. Well I can now help out with that. I own a body shop and I have my own paint mixing system. I have a Dupont mixing system and I spent about an hour and a half this evening custom making a formula that matched both my mower and also the spray can I got from the dealer. Dupont did not have a formula in their computer database, and the jobber was unable to get me an acceptable match with the computer camera either. This left me to make my own formula. This formula is for ChromaOne single stage urethane. Mind you this is not an inexpensive paint, but it is the good stuff. I am sure on a mower a lesser cost type of paint could be used such as Dulux enamel or Centari arcrylic enamel with satisfactory results, but the ChromOne and Chromabase is what I use at my shop and this was what I had to work with on my mixing system. If you have a Dupont jobber, he may be able to make this color in Dulux, Centari or Imron with the formula I am going to post here if you show it to him/her. This formula I am posting is for about 3/4 of a pint or so. This is the amount I ended up after adding dabs of each color until I got the color I wanted by comparing the mix with my mower/spray can sample. Your jobber can make you more or less by altering the formula to your needs. The formula is as follows:

Mixing Color ------------------- Amount

845J Transparent Yellow------------121.2 grams

853J Red Orange---------------------26.7 grams

801J High Strength White-------------34.5 grams

807J Low Strength Black---------------6.4 grams

7020G Single Stage Binder-------------150.0 grams

These amounts are actual amounts of each color in the formula and are not cumulative amounts as normally used in paint mixing. Meaning the person mixing this willl have to zero his/her scales before adding each color to get the amounts listed above. A paint jobber that mixes paint will understand this when they see this formula.

I hope this helps anyone needing to do any maintenance or painting on their Scag mower over the winter to get ready for next season. I needed to paint a fender and the control panel on mine where my mower got too close to a tree limb and I wanted a better paint than the spray bomb stuff at the dealer.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's great but, can you post some pics? Tony

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I see I made a mistake when I posted the paint formula. It was late when I did that and the amount of the 801J white should be 39.5 instead of 34.5. I tried to go in and edit that post but I can't. I hope nobody mixes that formula before seeing this post with the correction. If anybody can tell me how to edit the first post, please let me know.

Scott

Tharrel, I'm not sure what you want pictures of?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pics of the end result, the painted surface. Thanks

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't actually painted on the mower. I just painted a test panel and compared it to the mower and also the paint the Scag dealer sells in a spray can. The paint in the spray can matches the mower perfectly too, but isn't a good quality paint like the ChromaOne is. The ChromOne is catalyzed, looks much better, and much more durable than a spray can paint. It isn't cheap though, but then for what you get for $14.00 in a spray can at the dealer, that stuff isn't cheap either.

I wish I could edit that first post so the correction could be made on the formula before someone writes down or prints that first post and gets the wrong numbers.

Tharrell, I don't want to change the subject, but I have to ask. Who was Arthur and Freeway? Sounds like they were very dear friends of yours.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Arthur and Freeway were dogs I had for about 13 years. They died last year.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I suspected maybe they were dogs, and I also could tell they meant a lot to you. I certainly can understand how you feel because I had to put my dog and best friend to sleep after also having her for 13 years. I am 43 years old, and I swear that was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. It has been almost 5 years and I still am not over it. Sorry to get off topic everyone.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Scott! i know its been quite a while since you posted this paint recipe, but I am just confrirming that this worked well for you ..

I'm repainting the deck on my 2006 TT and wanted to make sure the paint matched perfectly as I am a pill for details...thanks again for your effort in doing this for us...

Oh and guesstimates how much paint ot might take to do the deck?

thanks again!
waltinbatonrouge

I have read some posts on here that others were looking for the paint color on their Scag mowers for autom0tive paint as an alternative to the expensive, poor quality, rattle can spray bombs the dealer sells. Well I can now help out with that. I own a body shop and I have my own paint mixing system. I have a Dupont mixing system and I spent about an hour and a half this evening custom making a formula that matched both my mower and also the spray can I got from the dealer. Dupont did not have a formula in their computer database, and the jobber was unable to get me an acceptable match with the computer camera either. This left me to make my own formula. This formula is for ChromaOne single stage urethane. Mind you this is not an inexpensive paint, but it is the good stuff. I am sure on a mower a lesser cost type of paint could be used such as Dulux enamel or Centari arcrylic enamel with satisfactory results, but the ChromOne and Chromabase is what I use at my shop and this was what I had to work with on my mixing system. If you have a Dupont jobber, he may be able to make this color in Dulux, Centari or Imron with the formula I am going to post here if you show it to him/her. This formula I am posting is for about 3/4 of a pint or so. This is the amount I ended up after adding dabs of each color until I got the color I wanted by comparing the mix with my mower/spray can sample. Your jobber can make you more or less by altering the formula to your needs. The formula is as follows:

Mixing Color ------------------- Amount

845J Transparent Yellow------------121.2 grams

853J Red Orange---------------------26.7 grams

801J High Strength White-------------39.5 grams (adjusted amount)

807J Low Strength Black---------------6.4 grams

7020G Single Stage Binder-------------150.0 grams

These amounts are actual amounts of each color in the formula and are not cumulative amounts as normally used in paint mixing. Meaning the person mixing this willl have to zero his/her scales before adding each color to get the amounts listed above. A paint jobber that mixes paint will understand this when they see this formula.

I hope this helps anyone needing to do any maintenance or painting on their Scag mower over the winter to get ready for next season. I needed to paint a fender and the control panel on mine where my mower got too close to a tree limb and I wanted a better paint than the spray bomb stuff at the dealer.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Scott to answer. He hasn't posted in almost 3 years, but you never know....

Old 02-08-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On the subject of the paint used on Scag's, I saw a TT sitting on the side of the road for sale, and I stopped and looked at it. The paint on it was coming off in places larger than a baseball....especially on the deck. This has been discussed here on LS, but I never did hear anyone say if Scag had found the problem with the paint (or paint prep).

I'm just curious, does anyone know anything about this? Has the problem been corrected on the newer models?

Thanks, Stan