Register free!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Landscape Lighting in NJ

Any of you guys doing landscape lighting in nj? I have read in several different places about the LAW on who can and can't do landscape lighting. I really haven't read where it says anything about low voltage lighting. What do you guys know about this? And is there any loop holes out there?
Thanks for the time.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Call Glen Nyhuis at 973-518-2717....He will fill you in n all things NJ.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get all the information you need from the NJNLA. There is a law that prevents anyone other than an electrician from doing any kind of electrical work be it low or line voltage with the exception of irrigation work. The limit is around 10 volts or more. The landscapers in NJ are uniting in an effort to change the law and allow properly trained persons to install landscape low voltage lighting, but it is an uphill battle. I'm sure the state will find a way to make us pay some sort of fee to get their way. Cast lighting is also involved in the fight, so they or an Aquarius location should be able to get you information as well.

Kirk
Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Sponsor

Lehrjetmx,

I'm chairman of a legislative task force to change the NJ law. Members of the task force include the NJGIE, NJNLA and NJLCA. We have likely sponsors for the bill in both the assembly and senate. It will be submitted in Jan. and may take months or years to go through the process.

In the meantime, enforcement of the 10V limitation varies according to municipality. The best strategy at this point is to form an alliance with an electrician. You need one anyway to install the GFCI's. The electrician may need to be the contractor of record or it may be OK to sub-contract the electrician. In some municipalities, you may need to pull a permit and the electricians name will need to be on that.

You will need to call electrical inspectors in the regions you service and ask what they require.

If you are posting ads in magazines or yellow pages, be sure to include a statement such as, "Electrical work will be performed by a NJ licensed electrical contractor."
Old 12-21-2007, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Call Glen Nyhuis at 973-518-2717....He will fill you in n all things NJ.
Thanks will call him after the holidays.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Lehrjetmx,

I'm chairman of a legislative task force to change the NJ law. Members of the task force include the NJGIE, NJNLA and NJLCA. We have likely sponsors for the bill in both the assembly and senate. It will be submitted in Jan. and may take months or years to go through the process.

In the meantime, enforcement of the 10V limitation varies according to municipality. The best strategy at this point is to form an alliance with an electrician. You need one anyway to install the GFCI's. The electrician may need to be the contractor of record or it may be OK to sub-contract the electrician. In some municipalities, you may need to pull a permit and the electricians name will need to be on that.

You will need to call electrical inspectors in the regions you service and ask what they require.

If you are posting ads in magazines or yellow pages, be sure to include a statement such as, "Electrical work will be performed by a NJ licensed electrical contractor."
Thanks Steve. I guess I have alot to think about before I jump into this area. I have an avionics background so voltage, watts, current etc aren't a big problem. I have a good creative side as well just will have to look into the local towns to see what is required as far as permits and such. Not to mention a electrician.