Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Lite4's Avatar
Lite4 Lite4 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,964
Thanks Nate,
That post was very incitefull. It is amazing that anybody can do business in this country anymore. What have we come too.

I also agree about that article in print for a handout, it would go well with the end consumer to illuminate them about the whole manufacturing process.
__________________


Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
great post nate. I do like 90% of what I have used from unique so far. I cursed up and down that I could not fit my lens retainer clips inside the lunars tho on my last project. All in all its a very well rounded product line and nothing I have seen yet has been of questional quality except for Joey himself

I still cant convert to the dark side and do all 12ga yet tho. Im kicking myself now for doing it on a project and had to dig in another line because I felt my design was comprimised when I could not add a few more lights to a hub. Cheaper to run a single 10ga than 2 strips of 12 for 210w
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM
JoeyD's Avatar
JoeyD JoeyD is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
great post nate. I do like 90% of what I have used from unique so far. I cursed up and down that I could not fit my lens retainer clips inside the lunars tho on my last project. All in all its a very well rounded product line and nothing I have seen yet has been of questional quality except for Joey himself

I still cant convert to the dark side and do all 12ga yet tho. Im kicking myself now for doing it on a project and had to dig in another line because I felt my design was comprimised when I could not add a few more lights to a hub. Cheaper to run a single 10ga than 2 strips of 12 for 210w

Thanks for kicking my nuts into my throat there BUDDY!!! LOL

As for the print version of this I agree and will have it done. I will make an attachment to d-load for you guys to print but i will also have some officially printed here to start sending out!!

Joey D.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
nate mullen nate mullen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: escondido, ca.
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
great post nate. I do like 90% of what I have used from unique so far. I cursed up and down that I could not fit my lens retainer clips inside the lunars tho on my last project. All in all its a very well rounded product line and nothing I have seen yet has been of questional quality except for Joey himself

I still cant convert to the dark side and do all 12ga yet tho. Im kicking myself now for doing it on a project and had to dig in another line because I felt my design was comprimised when I could not add a few more lights to a hub. Cheaper to run a single 10ga than 2 strips of 12 for 210w
The only reason Joey's around is my wife likes him.

You won't get any aguments out of me on that one. Just be careful on the connection that you use, a lot of the connections are only rated for 10 amps. and also not rated for that many wires under 1 connector.

we will have a 24 volt lighting systems vary soon.................you will than never need 10 or 8 and you will we able to put 384 watts on 12/2. for all of you that are going to freak out about over 15 volts ( 1838) I ask you this ...........why is it ok and legal to install 120 volt lighting in landscaping.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM
NightScenes's Avatar
NightScenes NightScenes is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingsland, Texas
Posts: 2,192
Ok Nate, please explain 348 watts on 12/2 wire. I think it would be good for everyone to know how you come up with those numbers. Why not 192 watts max?
__________________

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
JoeyD's Avatar
JoeyD JoeyD is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,965
What is this, bash on Joey day?! LOL...Wait until I tell your wife about the poker game last night!!! Christmas Shopping huh??? LOL

Paul, I will let Nate explain it, this 24v system is his baby and I dont want to spoil it. And after that last comment from him I think I will take the rest of the day off.

Joey D.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
The only reason Joey's around is my wife likes him.

You won't get any aguments out of me on that one. Just be careful on the connection that you use, a lot of the connections are only rated for 10 amps. and also not rated for that many wires under 1 connector.

we will have a 24 volt lighting systems vary soon.................you will than never need 10 or 8 and you will we able to put 384 watts on 12/2. for all of you that are going to freak out about over 15 volts ( 1838) I ask you this ...........why is it ok and legal to install 120 volt lighting in landscaping.
I am probably 1 of 3 people on this board who still insist on soldering connections. I didnt know there was an amerage limit on solder since your esentially only limited by the wires capacity and what will fit in your grease tubes.

If your planning to use 24v just so you can run further I would assume install another trans rather than bury a quarter mile of wire. I know its cheaper to run the 12 ga 1000 ft and shoot 24v down it than it is to install line voltage out there but just because its more cost effective doesnt mean its the best way.

Since your brain storming come up with a 1 1/4" chase for the iforce and an 1120 watt model would of made me use 3 of em this past week.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
nate mullen nate mullen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: escondido, ca.
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
Ok Nate, please explain 348 watts on 12/2 wire. I think it would be good for everyone to know how you come up with those numbers. Why not 192 watts max?
amps x volts............20 amp wire x 12 volts = 240 watts x 80% = 192

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 24 volts = 480 watts x 80% = 384

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 120 volts = 2400 watts x 80% 1920

all on the same size wire that why a 24 volt lighting system will be great for all of us
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting's Avatar
INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,936
Maybe not all of us Nate... A 24V "Landscape Lighting", "Garden Lighting", or "Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting" system is not going to fly here in Canada. Im sure you read the reasons why a few days ago.

Electrical components must be approved for the application in which they are installed / used.

Have a great day.
__________________
James Solecki
INTEGRA ~ Bespoke Lighting Systems ®
JSLDesign Inc.


www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Pro-Scapes's Avatar
Pro-Scapes Pro-Scapes is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
amps x volts............20 amp wire x 12 volts = 240 watts x 80% = 192

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 24 volts = 480 watts x 80% = 384

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 120 volts = 2400 watts x 80% 1920

all on the same size wire that why a 24 volt lighting system will be great for all of us
are you talking about 24v lamps and everything ? so you will be selling us 30v taps ? I also assume the price will be higher. so will it still make us more money ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.10705 seconds with 7 queries