Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Nate,
That post was very incitefull. It is amazing that anybody can do business in this country anymore. What have we come too.

I also agree about that article in print for a handout, it would go well with the end consumer to illuminate them about the whole manufacturing process.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-20-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

great post nate. I do like 90% of what I have used from unique so far. I cursed up and down that I could not fit my lens retainer clips inside the lunars tho on my last project. All in all its a very well rounded product line and nothing I have seen yet has been of questional quality except for Joey himself

I still cant convert to the dark side and do all 12ga yet tho. Im kicking myself now for doing it on a project and had to dig in another line because I felt my design was comprimised when I could not add a few more lights to a hub. Cheaper to run a single 10ga than 2 strips of 12 for 210w
Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
great post nate. I do like 90% of what I have used from unique so far. I cursed up and down that I could not fit my lens retainer clips inside the lunars tho on my last project. All in all its a very well rounded product line and nothing I have seen yet has been of questional quality except for Joey himself

I still cant convert to the dark side and do all 12ga yet tho. Im kicking myself now for doing it on a project and had to dig in another line because I felt my design was comprimised when I could not add a few more lights to a hub. Cheaper to run a single 10ga than 2 strips of 12 for 210w

Thanks for kicking my nuts into my throat there BUDDY!!! LOL

As for the print version of this I agree and will have it done. I will make an attachment to d-load for you guys to print but i will also have some officially printed here to start sending out!!

Joey D.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post

The only reason Joey's around is my wife likes him.

You won't get any aguments out of me on that one. Just be careful on the connection that you use, a lot of the connections are only rated for 10 amps. and also not rated for that many wires under 1 connector.

we will have a 24 volt lighting systems vary soon.................you will than never need 10 or 8 and you will we able to put 384 watts on 12/2. for all of you that are going to freak out about over 15 volts ( 1838) I ask you this ...........why is it ok and legal to install 120 volt lighting in landscaping.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok Nate, please explain 348 watts on 12/2 wire. I think it would be good for everyone to know how you come up with those numbers. Why not 192 watts max?

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is this, bash on Joey day?! LOL...Wait until I tell your wife about the poker game last night!!! Christmas Shopping huh??? LOL

Paul, I will let Nate explain it, this 24v system is his baby and I dont want to spoil it. And after that last comment from him I think I will take the rest of the day off.

Joey D.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
The only reason Joey's around is my wife likes him.

You won't get any aguments out of me on that one. Just be careful on the connection that you use, a lot of the connections are only rated for 10 amps. and also not rated for that many wires under 1 connector.

we will have a 24 volt lighting systems vary soon.................you will than never need 10 or 8 and you will we able to put 384 watts on 12/2. for all of you that are going to freak out about over 15 volts ( 1838) I ask you this ...........why is it ok and legal to install 120 volt lighting in landscaping.
I am probably 1 of 3 people on this board who still insist on soldering connections. I didnt know there was an amerage limit on solder since your esentially only limited by the wires capacity and what will fit in your grease tubes.

If your planning to use 24v just so you can run further I would assume install another trans rather than bury a quarter mile of wire. I know its cheaper to run the 12 ga 1000 ft and shoot 24v down it than it is to install line voltage out there but just because its more cost effective doesnt mean its the best way.

Since your brain storming come up with a 1 1/4" chase for the iforce and an 1120 watt model would of made me use 3 of em this past week.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
Ok Nate, please explain 348 watts on 12/2 wire. I think it would be good for everyone to know how you come up with those numbers. Why not 192 watts max?
amps x volts............20 amp wire x 12 volts = 240 watts x 80% = 192

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 24 volts = 480 watts x 80% = 384

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 120 volts = 2400 watts x 80% 1920

all on the same size wire that why a 24 volt lighting system will be great for all of us
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe not all of us Nate... A 24V "Landscape Lighting", "Garden Lighting", or "Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting" system is not going to fly here in Canada. Im sure you read the reasons why a few days ago.

Electrical components must be approved for the application in which they are installed / used.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate mullen View Post
amps x volts............20 amp wire x 12 volts = 240 watts x 80% = 192

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 24 volts = 480 watts x 80% = 384

amps x volts............. 20 amps wire 120 volts = 2400 watts x 80% 1920

all on the same size wire that why a 24 volt lighting system will be great for all of us
are you talking about 24v lamps and everything ? so you will be selling us 30v taps ? I also assume the price will be higher. so will it still make us more money ?