Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say with chlorine, the best and easiest solution would be to de-gas the water with aeration or let it sit for 24 hours.

For chloramines, it does become a bit more tricky and people have different ways of doing it. The one thing with humic acid is that it may effect your recipe if you use it before brewing the tea, as it does serve as a nutrient source.

And yes, ascorbic acid is essentially vitamin C.

~Tad
Old 12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh and thanks from the post from Elaine. I remember reading it, but had forgotten that it was sodium thiosulfate she was talking about.

I don't think most of the country has to deal with chloramines though. We only have chlorine here in the Seattle area. I know that in California it's a big issue for tea brewers and other organic growers.

~Tad
Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhussey View Post
Wow, a lot of different topics were brought up in this thread. Lots of good info. too! Here's my contribution:

1. You would want full lawn coverage when you spray. Typical rates are 20 gal./acre for soil drench or turf and 5 gal./acre for foliar applications (under 6ft in height). Bill is correct that the water is just a carrier, so it doesn't matter how much water you add to the mix when you go to spray, the imporatant thing is the biology. These rates assume that your tea has all the necessary organisms and diversity. Your rates may fluctuate depending on the quality of your tea.
So, say my dilution is 5 to 1 for a soil drench then I would be putting down 120 gallons per acre right?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At that rate, yes it would be 120 gal/acre. Typically, you just want enough water to get an even application of the tea over the area you're spraying.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
So, say my dilution is 5 to 1 for a soil drench then I would be putting down 120 gallons per acre right?
lawncuttinfoo, That application rate is very typical, the range is 80 to 130 gallons per acre of compost tea. The 120/130 (80 does too) range applies enough water to get a good soaking and get the biology down into the soil.

A lot depends on the sprayer and tip used

Hydroseeders put down 3 or 4 times that rate, its just the way its built