Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nightscaping Powercenters starting arriving with new fatter and shorter cords maybe a year ago. I heard it was to comply with UL. I don't have a spare one out in the garage right now, so I'll have to get back to you on the cord thickness, but it seems to me it's

Three foot (rather than 6 ft.) cords were a pain to begin with, and the thickness made for some problems with WP covers, but I've since found the newer Taymac MM740C-B and MM740GY-B covers with the glued on gasket is suited to the newer cords.

Who makes a TF with an 18 ga. cord?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Nightscaping Powercenters starting arriving with new fatter and shorter cords maybe a year ago. I heard it was to comply with UL. I don't have a spare one out in the garage right now, so I'll have to get back to you on the cord thickness, but it seems to me it's

Three foot (rather than 6 ft.) cords were a pain to begin with, and the thickness made for some problems with WP covers, but I've since found the newer Taymac MM740C-B and MM740GY-B covers with the glued on gasket is suited to the newer cords.

Who makes a TF with an 18 ga. cord?
Nightscaping, used to, I believe unique and Vista still do and in the case of vista they are 1838 and suitable for use with underwater luminaires.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Kichler Pro Series transformers I use have the 3' #12-3 cord. However they also make some Economy transformers with 6' #16-3, #18-3 cords.

Gregg, I agree the thick cords are a pain with the covers. I have been enlarging the cord openings with my battery operated sawzall.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkanders View Post
The Kichler Pro Series transformers I use have the 3' #12-3 cord. However they also make some Economy transformers with 6' #16-3, #18-3 cords.

Gregg, I agree the thick cords are a pain with the covers. I have been enlarging the cord openings with my battery operated sawzall.
Nightscaping made the change a year or so ago to 3' #12 power cords in order to comply with a change in the UL listings. It does present some issues and you have to ensure that you located very close to the receptical.

As for enlarging the cord openings on the weather proof while in use covers, I have found this very easy to do using my diagonal wire cutters. Only take a second and "snap" it is done.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you have 120v at your wall and you only have 11v at your 12v tap with or without a load you have a crappy TF. Ours drop less than any other unit on the market. We used to have in our training room a wall of all the TF's available to show how the TF has drop before even putting a load on them. So as for switching power cords, why do that, switch manufacturers. With a full load my unit MIGHT drop a half a volt where others could driop a full volt or more.

Chris explained how the units work on a 10/1 ratio. This is correct. 120v equals 12v toyour 12v tap, most manufacturers will still show a drop there though.

I would not mess with the power cord but if you are trying to band aid something then maybe it will help slightly but more than likely Pete it isnt going to change much.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Nightscaping made the change a year or so ago to 3' #12 power cords in order to comply with a change in the UL listings. It does present some issues and you have to ensure that you located very close to the receptical.

As for enlarging the cord openings on the weather proof while in use covers, I have found this very easy to do using my diagonal wire cutters. Only take a second and "snap" it is done.

Have a great day.
If you use the larger compartment Jumbo model Taymac cover I mentioned above, there should be no problem w/ the fatter cord. It has a single cord slot, centered, and a deeper 4 3/4" cover to accomodate the bend.

http://www.taymac.com/taymac/mm2.html
Old 12-21-2007, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

BY code our cords have to be 6ft and the Pool and Spa have to have 10ft cords.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Joey, define "our".
You mean Unique's cords? Or do you mean all LV lighting TFs?

And when you say required you mean exactly those lengths?
No longer than? No shorter than?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I only speak for us. I dont know what everyone else does. Seems they all apply different codes and techniques to their units. I still only know of Unique and NS making their own units. Does this hold true? Does anyone know of other manufacturers makign their own? I think CAST does. I dont consider putting someone elses coil in a can making their own by the way.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am pretty sure CAST transformers are made by Qtran. Perhaps Steve P. can confirm this.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA