Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the deeper covers but still find the cord tough to bend. I wish they came with a 90 degree plug. Does anyone manufacture them this way?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
I am pretty sure CAST transformers are made by Qtran. Perhaps Steve P. can confirm this.
Looks like an MDL to me.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm pretty sure Cast and Kichler transformers are made by the same folks....MDL.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yes MDL makes em both to Kichler and Casts specs. Cast chooses to add the extra common which comes in handy and kichler chooses to tilt the terminals slightly which is really of little help sometimes.

Cast is slightly more refined I feel with the locations of the timer plugs allowing a wider range of control options. With Kichlers you need to invert the relay plug to accomadate some.

Cast now offers "soft start" which is supposed to help reduce failed lamps.

I have been installing Kichlers this summer. I went back to CASTS on my last project. Coppermoon also offers the MDL trans as do others such as garden light and I think its hadco.

I may use some i forces from joey if they can ever get em right and put a decent chase pipe in there and a provision for attaching a conduit.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Billy,
The IForce has the correct provision for attaching conduit, it is on the inside. The pipe runs down the rear chase compartment. You relaly need to handle one, you will see that it has all you that you ever dreamed of!! Hope you guys all had a merry Christams!!

Joey D.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

im still recovering from the fact I cant put my astro timer inside the multimatic. Yall riveted the casing shut so I cant invert the plug like I do on the Kichlers.

Any tricks to popping the plug out ?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can try to pry it out. It is held in by 2 prongs but it can be tuff since we switched to metal prongs to hold the plugs in.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i tried to pop it but i think you guys jb welded the thing in there or something. It chipped the outlet. So short of drilling out your rivets and reinstalling new ones im at a loss. One day a manufacture will make a trans that is compatible with ALL popular controllers.

UPB
X10
Astro timers
sequencers

I think your at 50%... have not have a chance to see if I can slam a UPB in your trans yet Joey. Anyone do it yet ?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unique Trans

Joey,

I looked at your one of your transformers briefly a couple of weeks ago at Billy's, so this is all the experience I have. I will try not to seem demeaning here, but I am on Billy's side. Your trans seems well constructed and I like your terminal lugs but for me they are too small. Billy and I still like to use 10 ga. on wire runs. How many of you guys are 12 gaugers. And what's with all the rivets?

Also a 3/4 or 1/2 inch conduit knockout is a bit slim for us. Remember, we have only dealt with MDL and are very accustomed to these. All MDL's I have encountered could use a larger wiring compartment and maybe a terminal lug that could be to removed when I have more than 3 - 10 ga. wires to jam in. I really like the idea of the I-Force, but sounds like the chase is not very accommodating for my taste. I guess it is what you are accustomed to. Just not real familiar with your transformers.

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Sam!
Billy, I agree it would be nice for us to accommodate all timer sizes and modules. Most we do accommodate. The IForce runs into some issues when trying to install a bottom plug module or timer. I am going to get with my PE (product engineer) and see what we can do to accommodate more timers and modules. I know our standard multi matic models will accept just about all timers and modules but the IForce is a bit more limited.

The reason for all the rivets is simple. You guys have not seen the inside of the unit and how we mount our coil to what we call the C Bracket. We utilize rivets to mount the coil we then have to use rivets to seal the can to the C Bracket and Lid. We want to make sure we never have a problem with the cans not holding together in shipping. Believe it or not the units take more abuse in shipping then they do once they are mounted and in operation.

Now as for the smaller holes on he lugs. I had it out the other day with my PE that the lugs were too small. I told him I did not think we could fit an 8ga wire into he lug, we then went out to the factory and sure enough we could fit 8ga without a problem. The jackets present more of a problem trying to squeeze them in when you have more than 3 going into a hole. It does take some getting used too but you will find it is tight but you can make it happen. In the mean time we will be meeting on this subject again to decide if we want to go to a single hole lug like our IForce.

Now as for the knockouts, our multi matics will now be able to accept up to 3/4" conduit. I will look to see if we have upgraded the conduit plate in the IForce to accommodate a larger pipe as well.

Thanks for all your input, this will help us in developing better products for you guys!!!

Joey D,