Register free!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rooting compound?

Hello

I'm in search of a good rooting compound to use for cuttings. I need it to do some research for class.

Thanks ahead of time.
-Swampy.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Member

You can get rooting compound in small containers at Walmart. I started a couple of dozen hardwood cuttings in my dining room last year and that's what I used.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I found a couple of things that I did not know before. I always wondered what made up rooting dips

"Although store bought rooting compound doesn't seem to be overly expensive, most folks don't know that it can be toxic due to the fungicide included to protect plant cuttings from disease.

Just as in humans, hormones stimulate various functions in plant growth. The first hormone discovered to cause root growth is called auxin, and the synthetic version of auxin is what we find in commercially sold compounds today.

The willow plant is a natural source of auxin. Therefore, it can be very easy to make up a fresh batch of homemade rooting compound whenever you need to plant some new cuttings."
This guy says you can crush branch tips in water and soak overnight and dip your cuttings in it, I'll have to try this one

auxin
Plant hormone that regulates stem and root growth in plants. Auxins influence many aspects of plant growth and development, including cell enlargement, inhibition of development of axillary buds, tropisms, and the initiation of roots. Auxin affects cell division mainly at the tip, because it is here that cell division in a stem or root mainly occurs. Just behind the tip the cells grow in size under the influence of auxins, causing the stem or root to grow longer. Auxin therefore affects the amount of elongation here too.

Synthetic auxins are used in hormone rooting powders to encourage cuttings to root. They are also used in some weedkillers, where high auxin concentrations cause such rapid growth that the plants die. Other uses include the prevention of premature fruit drop in orchards.

The most common naturally occurring auxin is known as indoleacetic acid, or IAA. It is produced in the shoot apex and transported to other parts of the plant.

KEWL stuff
Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we use dip n grow exclusively. we do over 100,000 cuttings & hope to increase to 150,000 in 08
Mostly for woody material & sometimes herbacious.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
we use dip n grow exclusively. we do over 100,000 cuttings & hope to increase to 150,000 in 08
Mostly for woody material & sometimes herbacious.
Wow thats a lot. We just did some cuttings as a lab project with Wandering Jew and Swedish Ivy. It was kind of interesting since I've never done anything like that before. I guess I did it right cause they are still alive, I just gave the plants to my mom cause I really don't like indoor plants to much.

Last edited by Swampy; 01-25-2008 at 02:23 AM.