Register free!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Parts? Why do you need any specialty parts? Other then simple and ubiquitous things like sockets and mounting hardware I have no need to stock parts to do maintenance.

Sourcing? find yourself a quality distributor who is committed to their job. Mine carries or is willing to bring in 90% of what I need. The other 10% I get at one of two other distributors, both dedicated to lighting.

By Installing top quality product only, I have very few repairs required. If something does break, then switch out the fixture and return it for warranty replacement. I dont waste time on site rebuilding a fixture because a mounting screw stripped or a socket fails... The client gets a new fixture.

As for "fancy brand names" well I already covered that... my clients don't hear or know of the manufacturers... they are buying INTEGRA Lighting from me. What they are getting is "fancy CUSTOM installations." It is the small niches, the nooks and the crannies that call for the specialty fixtures. Places where the source can be seen and you want to have a really nice fixture visible.
Replace a fixture over a stripped or missing screw?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pete: How do you deal with component issues when the failed component is under warranty by a manufacturer?

If a fixture or component fails, and it is under warranty, then yes I would replace that entire fixture and return the failed part for warranty replacement. That is what a warranty is for. If that same fixture or component is beyond its manu. warranty, then of course I would repair it before replacing it. Sockets, O-rings, and such are pretty easy parts to keep in the trailer.

I can count the number of fixtures I have returned for warranty replacement on my hands and feet after 9 years in the biz. It all comes down to picking the best quality stuff, the stuff that doesnt fail.

For Nightscaping components we have a first aid kit called the Jay-Kit. It is an awesome, compact tool box filled with the parts that us conractors deemed most appropriate. I bought one 3 or 4 years ago for $75 and by the looks of it might need to replenish it in a few years. For CAST components I have assembled my own kit. Pretty simple really... 50 thumb screws and 50 O-rings, so far so good.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What an awesome topic. Pete I got to say I agree with the philosophy that you only need a few diffferent lights to create your designs, you then add niche fixtures for certain applications. For me i know exactly when I want to use a Stellar, Starburst, Pulsar, Big Bang, Apollo Star, and Centaurus 6. The rest from here on out is specialty.

You made a comment that Unqiue is falling into the same trap as others by coming out with a ton of lights. In one respect you are correct that we are expanding our line, the difference is we are being creative with what we design. See you have to look at our line as 3 different lines. We have our Solid Brass Odyssey Line, our Copper Knights Line, and our NEW Spun Brass Brass Knights line. Each line needs addition, our most complete line is the Odyssey line. We have 3 bullets, Pulsar MR16, smaller Probe MR16, and the smallest Polaris MR11. We have 2 wall washers Small Stellar, Big Starburst. We have 5 downlights Lunar 9inch shroud, Quasar1 7in Shroud, Probe Orbital SIde Mount 3in shroud, Quasar2 square niche d-light, and the Comet which can be hung with a chain, flush mounted, or mounted with a knuckle. we obviously have a few different area lights but if you look at how we expanded our line this year we released a new Putting Green light called the Augusta whuich is a replacement to your putting green cup, it has a light at the bottom. We added the Polaris and Northstar MR11 fixtures, and we released our Spun Brass line. So really we are expanding but we are not going crazy, we still want a somewhat condensed line but we keep finding cool little niche lights to create.

Joey D.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, Pete and James all make good points. I use about 7 fixtures all of the time but I also do not shy away from specialty fixtures where needed. There is not one single manufacturer that makes everything needed to do every project so one of my criteria is that they be a member of the AOLP. This shows me that they are committed to the industry as a whole, since they are supporting a national association dedicated to the promotion of professionalism in the industry.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
Mike, Pete and James all make good points. I use about 7 fixtures all of the time but I also do not shy away from specialty fixtures where needed. There is not one single manufacturer that makes everything needed to do every project Your opinion? so one of my criteria is that they be a member of the AOLP. This shows me that they are committed to the industry as a whole, since they are supporting a national association dedicated to the promotion of professionalism in the industry.This to me Sounds like extortion. Simply by paying your organization even if they do not lift a finger to do anything active in your organization? Boycott a manu because they don't belong to your assoc? And you are bringing value to your customer how with your personal biases? Who is your mentor Jimmy Hoffa? Sounds like a throw back to the 60's
please See above