Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

need surface mounts

Okay, got a deposit on this today.

They were very happy with the demo, I could use some ideas for surface mounts. Billy gave me some good suggestions. The columns were a little tricky, but an uplight MR at 38 degrees was hidden well on the right side and covered it. It balanced with one on the left, just below hedge height. The columns are white, but the fixtures will be mostly out of site.

Second matter, they have the an English icon for a focal point between the driveway and their dock. I used a 20 watt miniwash, using my extended pole, leaning inside the phone booth, aiming at the top. The word Telephone is on clear glass, and the inside has a soft glow. It could use just a bit more punch. Thje original fixture and white cover is still on top, probably a flourescent. Anything will work attached to the ceiling, but what would look nice if someone oopens the door, plus, does anyone think I could place something inside the original rectangluar cover?

Well, those are my Q's, I can't wait to finish the front and side, so I can move on to the water point of view. They have five palms along the channel, some crepes, and their dock. It will look awesome reflecting on the water when they come in at night on their boat (big boat people, they're English), with the focal point of the phone booth visible from that view as well.

Ooops (edited): forgot to attach images
Old 12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2007, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a total of 32 fixtures on this, between the front, and the side drive/parking area. A few small area lights (copper paths) bring the view up to the telephone booth. The myrtles at the booth are only uplighted with one stake each to provide some spill onto the outside of the phone booth--I want the inside to be seen as illuminated.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

mike... that left pillar is tough. How far back does that rail go ? Is there a possibility to surface mount a bullet on the back of the rail going up on the pillar slightly crossing the front entrance ? I would go for a nice soft light not only on the pillars but also the inside of that arch way.

As the english would say you got a bit of hard cheese on this one.

I would use 2 fixtures in that phone booth I think... unique ring mounted inside with probably a 10-20w bulb and the wash going up.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does Unique have a nice ring mount for surface mounting? All I see is the universal bracket, which I does want for this application, except inside the phone booth.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet house Mike. post some pics of that one when you are done. I can't wait to see the phone booth. Good idea about inside illumination.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-22-2007, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Does Unique have a nice ring mount for surface mounting? All I see is the universal bracket, which I does want for this application, except inside the phone booth.
only ring mount I see in unique is the comet mr 11 fixture. I think you might be confusing ring mounts with surface mounts ? Ring mounts hang from a small chain... surface mounts usually use a flange in place of the stake or are sinilar to a deck light type mounting and are attached directly to the surface.

Need some pics of the other side of the railing there to see about mounting it more concealed. This house should of been designed with provisions for lighting installed in the infastructure
Old 12-22-2007, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

surface mounts usually use a flange in place of the stake

Yeah, that's what I need for the verticles. I was able to find a good spot to the right of the rail that cover the column nicely and matched up with the left side lighting. I thought a wash would have been right, but it was a 35 watt 38 degree MR 16 that made it work. The owner and I were really happy with it. So I need a nice flange, and I don't want to use the universal bracket for this application.

The phone booth needed a little more punch than the 20 watt wash I put inside, it swallowed up the light, especially with the relative ambiant light on the outside from the crepes (which is why I only put one stake on each crepe there). Almost perfect, probably just needs an MR16 20 or 35 watter with or without a frosted lens.

Tim, I'll take pic's when I'm done, but I'll pm them to you. hehe.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

More angles so Billy can talk about provisions and hard cheese.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

if you intend to blend your going to need a white spotlight there and a white mounting flange... kichler... nightscaping... vision 3... and im sure a host of others have a quality fixture to place there. Hiding the wire will be the difficult task. I would see how well it worked mounted to the surface of the white deco but i dont think thats going to work.

Im really wondering if you cant effectivly light this entrance with 2 spots from the left bed there. Where did you demo it from? You obviously dont want a spot or wire hanging around that entrance way.

If that booth swallowed up the light from a 20w bulb I doubt the mr11 powered commet is the way to go. If they dont use it maybe you can place 2 fixtures in the bottom of it shining up. That should light up the "telephone" sign. I have not lit any phonebooths so its hard for me to say on it.