Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a tough one to light on the right side from the bottom. How did it look in the demo. I asume you placed the lamp just to the right of the rail, but probably had a pretty good shadow. Have you considered down lighting from the soffit above? I know it is less dramatic and it will not get the arch and upper gable but the light will be even on the fluted columns.

If I was then going to light up the interior of that arch. I think the only approach to do that would be to run my wire under that white stucco bond line that is running horizontally along the lower part of the walls. You could maybe adhere and hide a 14g wire under that bond line and run to an individual light placed in a flower pot, placed next to that fluted interior column. That is about the only way I could think of to get even light distributed on that entryway. 4 fixtures, 2 up and 2 down. Just my .02 though.

Mike, after you attatch the wire; paint it white to match the stucco and you would probably never notice it unless you stuck your head down there to see it.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-23-2007, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough one to light on the right side from the bottom. How did it look in the demo. I asume you placed the lamp just to the right of the rail, but probably had a pretty good shadow

Tim, you and Billy are noticing the same stuff I did, nothing was working in the demo with washes, but to my surprise, I was easily able to use an MR bullet to the right of the right side column, without a shadow. Looked very nice! The wfl beam just cleared the rail, and both right and left side columns matched up. The demo was mandatory for me to play around and solve this. The homeowner has two 120 lights that fill inside that archway nicely, and if he is not expecting company, he can kill it, and there is still plent of ambient light and bright light on the white trim; the whole front looks great. I thought about two white downlights, but it's not necessary. Also Unique has white wire I can order with the fixture. But I am still wondering if there is a flange for the mount I don't want the bracket for this.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike, I know Unique sells a bracket with their northstar fixture. Is something like what you are looking for? You would then use masonry anchors to attatch to the brick.
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that mount compatible with an MR 16 up-light? The catalog doesn't mention it.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

just about any bullet is surface mountable. the flanges are availible from many sources including spj... rsl... kichler... cast...unique just to name a few and avalible in several materials and colors. Im pretty sure nightscaping would have this standard accesory as well.

I think I have some SPJ ones that match kichler bbr bullets and a handful of cast ones that are bronze. One issue you will have is hiding wire and stucco being a naturally brittle material. One decent bump and your light will be torn out. Sometimes in situations like this I like the kim mini vaults but it doesnt look like you got a place to set one.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if that base on the northstar (mr-11 fixture) fiits half inch than that would match the weathered brass. Billy I was going to go with white, but he wants the column on the left illuminated from just below hedge level. The fixture on the right will only been seen from that terrace.

I'd rather have two weathered brass up lights which have a nice architectural appearance than one white one brass, or two whites with one on the yellow stucko. But I will order the one fixture with a white cable. I already found good hiding spots for the cable.

For the most part, neither fixture will really be seen from the road or driveway.

Last edited by Mike M; 12-23-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

a few companies including kichler spj and unique offer the weathered brass mounts. You should have zero issues finding an exact match... Unscrew stake... thread on the mount. Just be careful with you tighten down the mount so you do not pinch any wires and create a broken jacket or short.

Unique has the sphere base... I cant find a pic but im pretty sure thats it. It comes in natural... weathered brass and white.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Billy, that's all good info. Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

just be cautious mounting to that stucco. Its not the firmeest foundation. If when you predrill your anchors you hot wood consider using a stainless deck screw to attach to. Not sure how the houses are made there but here we got mostly brick which is easy to work with for the most part.

When I lived out west the stucco homes had no plywood sheeting on them... studs wrapped in styrofoam and chickenwire then stucco. Nightmare to mount to.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll tap with a pilot bit, see what's there. I have lots of screw types and anchors, not a prob.