Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2001, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Little wonder or Billy Goat

Im in the market for a walk behind leaf blower. which is best and what size engine. thanks
Old 10-16-2001, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have an arsenal of both.

Both are quality built machines.
Both offer generally the same engine options
Both are similarly priced.

Little Wonder Blows Harder, by quite a bit. In fact we have a 6hp Little Wonder that blows almost what our 8hp Billy Goat does. Our 13hp Honda blows almost what our Groundsmaster 345 w/ Olathe Blower does.

I like our new Billy Goats with the adjustable spout control on the handle.

I like the swivle wheel on the front our our Little Wonders, works espcially nice on pavement.

All in all, I would buy Little Wonder w/ 13hp Honda (Come standard w/ swivle wheel) They're not cheap: They list at $1419.00, but can be bought for around $1100 if you shop right.

(You'll pay more right now because it's prime-time blower season.)
Old 10-16-2001, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On either of these machines, 5 just isn't enough, and 11 is too heavy for all practicle purposes. Just choose between the two? There are several threads on here comparing the two, including som that I have put into. I can tell you this. I owned both, i used both, I ran tests on both as brand new equipment - this we did at the dealer, they weren't my machines. What we found was the Little Wonder put more air out, farther than the Billy Goat did. What we did, was a controlled experiment, and we set bottles up in the parking lot. Starting from a ways back, we went back and forth, SLOWLY moving toward the bottles. While the Billy Goat wouldn't blow them over from X amount of distance, the Little Wonder had NO problem. These machines were equipped with the Briggs & Straton 8 hp Industrial motors. I hope this helps.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-16-2001, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a 9 hp little wonder with the honda motor. so far, im very impressed with it. it seems much more powerful than the 8 hp giant vac i used to have.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can say the LW 8HP rocks. I didn't waste the extra $200 or so to upgrade to the 9HP Honda as it didn't make any difference in output as the housing is the same. Not to mention that it is a piece of equipment that isn't used all that much during the rest of the season.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you something else that's worth looking into, since we're on this subject, is the JRCO Blower Buggy. Man, what a work saver! Instead of walking your rearend off - pushing all this weight, you can sit back and have fingertip control. I have one that Iput on the front of my Lazer, and I'm real pleased with it. I HAVE found though, that I just dont use my large blower as much as I used to. Between double blades, and using the speed of the Lazer to windrow, there's just not that much use for it anymore. Great for doing lots, still, though.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Little Wonder 8hp briggs I/C and like scaper said it rocks.. I am very impressed with the power it puts out.. Sometimes it' s too much especaiily on the small residentials out here.. But over all have no complaints on it and have used it for , well this is the 3rd season so far.... Good investment..
Old 10-17-2001, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

billygoat

i ve got a new billygoat blower.it is the quiet blow 1004, with the hand controlled air flow. it has a 10 hsp briggs ic engine and it has pleny of power. the blower starts right up and is pretty easy to push. it has a lighter blower fan material in it making it lighter and the weight is balanced more than on the little wonder. ive tried other blowers and they were heavy and awkward to move. also the price was right. i paid $767 including tax, while the little wonder and giant vacs were over $800 for the 8hsp blowers.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the billygoat 10hp blower with the hand control snout on it. I love this machine it has the power and the best thing is the movable snout which is good for knocking down piles of leaves . So if you are going to be pushing leaves back in a wooded area it is an excellent choice
Old 10-20-2001, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a 8 HP little wonder yesterday. $699.00 +tx
What a machine! This unit has the 8 HP Briggs intek. I thought I was going to blow the turf right out of the ground! This is going to be a TIME SAVER!