Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed Trailers

Members,
Of lately, I have been researching and visiting local dealers in search of a durable dual axle enclosed trailer. I have looked at Wells Cargo (Road Force), Pace American Summit and Journey models, Haulmark, and locally made trailers. As this is a big purchase I am always concerned with getting the best deal for my money. However, I am not against paying more for a trailer that is going to last.

I am just stumped between a knock-off and a name brand trailer. This is one of the off brands that I am looking at http://www.martystrailerdepot.com/enclosedtr.html. It is made by Diamond Cargo. I went to see this trailer and I was really impressed with the quality. However, another one of my concerns is that this trailer is only about $700 cheaper than the Wells Cargo. Plus, the Wells Cargo dealer is local (Orlando, Fl) and this trailer is in Palatka, Fl. If, I had to make choice today it would be Wells Cargo only because they are local.

However, there are several off brand dealers like All Pro Trailers (Orlando, Fl), Emerson Trailers (Orlando, Fl) and All Star Trailers (Orlando, Fl). I am not knocking the quality of any of these trailers. What I am looking for is some honest feedback in order to be able to make an informed decision.

What I am looking for is a 7x16 or 18 enclosed trailer with dual axles. Are torsion axles necessary? If so, why?

Any feedback on enclosed trailers would be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

D.J.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

most enclosed trailers come with torsion axles. i think its necessary with how much flex there is when you turn especailly tight turning and backing. I have a Pace and am very pleased with the quality of my trailer the dealer did a great job getting it to the specs i gave them and the final project came out with just what i wanted. Great trailer and worth the money. Dont go cheap cuz your using this 5 days a week you can make up the extra 1000 bucks in a day for a little nicer trailer and get the 8.5 foot wide model!! I have a 7 foot before and HATED it way too tight let me know if theres anything else you would like to know
Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a cheap trailer, its a carry on 7x16, included 3/4in walls and ramp doors. The quality has shown in a few area for sure, but some things are better then i have seen on some of the higher end brands. I also only paid 4850 for my trailer/
Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i also have the pace summit 7x18. i agree to go to the 8/8.5 wide. im happy with the 18' but have considered the 20'. my trailer has been very good and reliable, no problems. ive backed it into my other truck and wasnt much damage considering the impact. i love mine

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Enclosed Trailer

All,
Thanks for the advice! I have a 2005 F-150 FX-4 and am wondering if this truck will be able to handle an 8' wide trailer? I know for sure that I would have to get mirror extensions. Also, I will have only one (1) 54" Zero Turn, one (1) 44" Walk-behind and one (1) Billy Goat Blower. The rest of the stuff is typical handheld type tools like back pack blowers, edgers and trimmers. I am saying this to give you experts an idea on overall weight, etc.

Again, I would appreciate any information provided.

D.J.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

then you should be able to get away with one smaller than my 18'. i have 2 60" ZTR's and a 48Wb in it. just fits. id get at least a 16' so you can grow into it. perhaps the 8' wide is too big for you. you could always go and look at the 8' wide and back your truck up to it to see. your 150 should pull ok. im assuming your mostly local so it should be just fine

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

With 8.5 foot wide you will NEED extended towing mirrors on your truck. Strap-ons are around 50 bucks but full size extendable replacement mirrors are 300 - 475 depending on model and options like electric adjust and heat. For length go with the longest you can afford you will always at some point need the room. American Hauler makes a heavy duty ramp with a steel wedge at the end of the ramp, very well made and looks indestructible. Also get the heavy axles, torsion, the most gvwr that you can because they will last longer and you will be able to haul a small skid steer or asv. And floor joists should be 12" on center, and have 3/4 plywood 18" up on the sides so your mowers don't poke through the walls.
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 12-25-2007, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer

I have decided on the Pace Summit Landscape Trailer. Although, I do like the Wells Cargo, Pace offers things like a two tone paint package for no additional charge. Additionally, the Pace Summit Landscape package is being offered a $300 factory rebate, which makes it almost $800 cheaper than the Wells Cargo landscape package.

Thanks for everyone's input and assistance. In fact, I went back several months and found a plethora of information on enclosed trailers. It seems to come down to price and preference for most landscapers. I visited a few knock-off trailer shops and actually felt that some of the quality was good. However, I was concerned with turn around time if I need an emergency repair.

D.J.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pace makes nice trailers you shoould be happy. I bought one of the know off trailers from ebay. It was built in Doulass, GA and it's a 7x16 V-Nose. I only paid $3,000 for it brand new. I can load it up with 2-60" Z's and all my hand helds just fine. The V-nose really helps. easier to pull and better mpg's. I don't know what you've been quoted but I was told a Pace of the same sixe was nearly double what I paid for mine, and to me it just wasn't worth the money.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would have rather bought a 20ft trailer, but until i upgrade to the 3/4 or bigger truck its not gonna happen. I ran 48wb and 36wb in there this fall and was a tight fit. The 48 had a big sulky on it though, i also have shelfs in mine. i plan to make a thread this spring, i have bought 4 new 7 spoke aluminum rims for it, electric jack, trimmer and blower racks, dry erase board, and its going to get coated in herculiner as well.