Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Brain Storming #2

Hey guys,
Inspired by Mr. Johnson. I have posted some pictures of an entryway fountain that I am going to potentially be lighting. There are 4 on this project, all are different in style and shape from this one. I already have a pretty good idea of how I am going to light this but it is fun to get your perspective and maybe get some new ideas I may not have considered. They have a low volt system there now but they are all SPJ fixtures that are misplaced, burned out and falling apart. We are starting fresh on this one.
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-24-2007, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well since all the other guys are starting early with festivus, I'll test my basic design skills. It actually seems easy, and I'm sure you have it figured out. But, this is where I would tune my skills with a demo.

Those columns are nice focal points and so is the sign. Eyes can easily move up or to the sides on the whole portrait. I would up-light each of the columns with one well each. Let the ambient light hit the top frames, etc.

With the sign as a primary focal point, it would look architecturally nice with maybe 3 curved hooded fixtures mounted as downlights. Or, just hit them with at least 3 uplights from below, avoiding the single flood fixture thing. No stakes if possible, aiming has to remain precise, landscapers will kick them.

Waterfalls, take your coice, but for simpliciy you can cross light from the dirt, using stakes. Careful on far right and left, fixtures on a cross light may be facing too much forward as a glare issue. See if inside stakes can cover it, if it doesn't, resort to using underwater uplights.

Both levels of stone walls for some nice 3-D horizontal layering and elimination of dark areas. Upper wall being illuminated will make some nice back lighting on plants. Lower wall, down light from cap; stay out of the grass with fixtures.

Note: the downlight idea on the sign may be a bit of a specialty fixture thing with some surface mounting and wire-puilling, but the downlighting would be consistent with the other walls.

I love trees and plants, but they are not the focal points, and there is enough backlighting and ambient light to appreciate their textures.

How did I do?

Last edited by Mike M; 12-24-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fountain #2

Here is fountain #2 just to give you the variety view.
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-24-2007, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fountain #3
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-24-2007, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Finally fountain #4. Sorry for all the pics
Attached Images

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim, I can see why you want some underwater PAR's to kick up the illumination, but my hunch is to get out of the water with down-lighting, cross lighting, etc.

You got a big demo kit, take it out there and apply some strategies.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim,

Fountain number 3, let go of the water. View from cars is not water, it's the focal point on sign and columns.

If anything, you'll get nice reflections anyways.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would light the spillways with an up light in the water, slightly in front of the impact area and you will get moving light as a result. I would do a demo starting from underwater and ad from above the water as needed to complete the portrait. Water is very tricky, you should demo it to be sure the desired effect will be possible. I would light the columns on the inside only to ad depth as you move past the structures. I definitely would look at lighting those walls from the water, possible raising the fixtures to help minimize lumen loss from the depth of water.

I set up my checklist on unusal jobs like this:

1. establish the point of view and/or perspectives
2. decide on a theme or style
3. establish focal points
4. figure out continuity/rhythm
5. demo the crap out of it to confirm

Sometimes the best ideas really suck when you demo. It is about this moment that I laugh at myself. Your a good lighting guy and you most likely already know this stuff.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mike,
I know not all the fountains are going to have the same stratagies and focal points. The signage, domes and columns are my focals. I will be downlighting the columns to pickup the pools and railings below. The only water lights I need are underneath the spillways. The small one already have some MRs in them that just need to be raised out of the deep water so they can be more effective. The majority of all the lighting will be out of the water.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Tommy. Yeah, I pretty much already have this one dialed in how I am going to do it, but it is neat to hear all the different ways someone might approach it. I will have to be pretty creative with some of my mounts and I will be custom making some mounts for raising the lights out of the deep water.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com