Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-24-2007, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

stihl backpack blower

I have a stihl 600BR. I have had it in the shop 3 times to no satifaction. The blower starts out just fine, however, after approximately 15 minutes it starts to loose power then eventually shuts off. The repairs that have been done on it are:air and fuel filter have been replaced, the spark plugs have been replaced,: fuel lines have been replaced, and the stop buffers have been replaced, but it still doing the same thing. Help please!!!! What else could it be.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say if it's under warranty be nice about this but I'd be for going back to the shop with a dissatisfied customer issue, the newer it is the more I'd be all for that, 3 times that's borderline there, ask them how many more times you have to bring this in before it's fixed or what is going to happen when it still doesn't run?

You also might want to explain the problem in detail, if they have to run it 15 minutes to see the problem then you have to tell them that.

Then when you get it back for the 4th time before you even leave with it, start it and run it until satisfied.

Not to sound smart, but without attitude would probably work best yet you want to state your point clearly too.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have spark when it shuts down on you ? Possibly a bad coil. Have you checked muffler and spark arrestor screen ?

Last edited by FIXDISS; 12-24-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-25-2007, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXDISS View Post
Does it have spark when it shuts down on you ? Possibly a bad coil. Have you checked muffler and spark arrestor screen ?
Intermittent problems like a coil is sometimes hard to deal with.....I measure resistance from plug to cyclinder head when cold and when it stops immediately measure again. I am looking for a change towards direction of open. Does it start back up immediately when it stops? I put the unit on a bench and clamp it down and run it wide open. The more info you can provide the shop the better.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

check the coil they had a problem with those things also have the valves been adjusted?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The valves are a good place to start, not to insult your dealer but try another stihl dealer. sometimes afresh perspective doesn't hurt. It will take your time investment, but run it at the dealership and let it die for you, then have the tech check it while it's doing it with you there. Then there is no question as to what it's doing for both parties.
John Deere 318 w/ snow blade
Arctic Cat 500 w/ snow blade
International 284 tractor
Cadet tractors- 1250, 1000
100 & 124 in full pulling trim!