Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-25-2007, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to steel customers?

There are some accounts I'd like to have that some of my competitors currently hold but these guys have weaknesses and flaws. How can I get a customer to realize they should use me instead? Most of them just don't want to let someone go because they have had them for so long and are afraid of change or hurting feelings. I can't believe some of these LCOs. Most are not registered or insured and use ZTRs on small and soft soil yards leaving the yard looking like a Freightliner just drove through it. Even if they are alittle cheaper it still looks terrible having 4" inch deep tracks all over. Are the customers really that ignorant as to just keep having these guys come back. I've talked to many of them about switching and they just won't.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All you can do is offer your services. Loyalty is something that is greatly appreciated in my book. There's always someone out there that "can do it better than your current guy".
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrz View Post
All you can do is offer your services. Loyalty is something that is greatly appreciated in my book. There's always someone out there that "can do it better than your current guy".
Well said! I agree!

You have to find a way to stand out in your regional market so people will see the difference between you and your competitors. The only thing I can stress here is quality work and NO LOWBALLING!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 12-25-2007, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you can offer other services than the competitor, such as ferts, shrub trimming, tree work, gutter cleaning....?

If the customers are satisfied with their current guy then its likely they won't switch. You have to off something they're not getting now becuase from what you say, if quality is already not that great then they should already be looking for another LCO.

Maybe they need some landscaping but haven't thought of it??
Old 12-25-2007, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Way I see things is no matter how good I think I am still I am no better than anybody else, so don't take another man's work.
Don't do it, all I gotta say.

You never know, there might be a reason they're doing sub standard work

Last edited by topsites; 12-25-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Way I see things is no matter how good I think I am still I am no better than anybody else, so don't take another man's work.
Don't do it, all I gotta say.

You never know, there might be a reason they're doing sub standard work
haha, I know what you mean (it happened to me). Ever tried to mow around a jungle of honeysuckle? There was a reason the other guy was doing such a crummy job.

On the other hand, it never hurts to see if you can do things better than the next guy; sometimes you can.

MJS Lawn & Landscape

Servicing commercial and residential properties

Legal, Licensed, and Insured

Old 12-25-2007, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally i dont want to STEAL anyones customer. If my work ethic and results impress them enough to want to go with my services instead, i'm all for it, but to blatantly try and steal a customer is setting yourself up for the same thing to happen to you. karmas a bytch. good luck. But when the shoe is on the other foot, you'll realize stealing customers is a two way street.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
I've talked to many of them about switching and they just won't.

Dont be so desperate. There are many more customers out there.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&R Landscaping View Post
Well said! I agree!

You have to find a way to stand out in your regional market so people will see the difference between you and your competitors. The only thing I can stress here is quality work and NO LOWBALLING!
That is the best advise here. Quality and relibility will sell be far better than being the cheapest price - to your down fall or undercutting the competetion to gain an advantage.

The Wal-mart principle is good for wal-mart and retail... Not a service business.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 12-25-2007, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtivations lawncare View Post
Personally i dont want to STEAL anyones customer. If my work ethic and results impress them enough to want to go with my services instead, i'm all for it, but to blatantly try and steal a customer is setting yourself up for the same thing to happen to you. karmas a bytch. good luck. But when the shoe is on the other foot, you'll realize stealing customers is a two way street.
Well said. This isin't the pirate green industry website, come here and learn how to lie cheat and steal your way to fame and fortune. Your words "how to steal someones else's accounts".

You will find it hard to take good clients from another company especially if you are telling them you do better work. In essence you are telling them they made a bad decision to hire their current company. It is hard enough for people to make that decision on their own when you try and push them one way they will automatically go the opposite direction, it's human nature.

I hope you fail miserably, I just posted this to display my superior intellect. Merry Christmas.