Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Can you apply fertilizer without a license?

I am just starting out and want to offer Scotts four step program to my customers. Can I apply this to residential customers lawns without any special license? Also I am considering the Better Quick 36 and also using the LawnBoy Commercial 6.5 that I already use...any Comments? Thoughts? Thanks again for such an awesome site!!!

Mike
Michigan
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, and doesn't Scott's Miracle Grow Inc. already offer this service?

I mean you can certainly use Scott's once or twice here and there, it's a good product, but I wouldn't be for trying to sell their in-store products as a service that they just as likely provide themselves through their own lawn maintenance division, is what I'm saying.

My recommendation is to first check with your state's laws, I don't think any of them allow you to spread fertilizer without a chemical applicator's license but you might as well check because it's worth it (trust me, even if the answer is no it is still worth checking into).

Then I would start looking for a local landscape supplier whose products you can use, that is not being sold by a big name or some nationwide home garden maintenance corporation. Their prices ought to be more competitive for one, two you're not driving around with a product everyone recognizes (no offense and it may sound stupid but it's not), and last but not least hopefully with this method you can carve yourself out a niche service, is what I was getting at.

In the meantime, to use Scott's a few times to see if it's something you want to do long term, I think that would be ok.

Last edited by topsites; 12-25-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

i'd say you hit the nail on the head with that response...do what he said

No Bunk
Old 12-25-2007, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can actually apply (2) of the (5) Scott's steps without being licensed. Most agriculture departments do not require a applicators license to apply a straight fertilzer. It's the fertilizers that contain a pre or post emergent that will require you to be licensed in order to apply.

Example: you "CAN NOT" apply the following without a license;
Scott's Turfbuilder with Crabgrass preventor
Scott's Turfbuilder with Plus 2 weed control
Scott's Turfbuilder with Summer guard
Scott's Winterguard with Plus 2 weed control

You "CAN" apply without a license;
Scott's Turfbuilder with 2% Iron
Scott's Turfbuilder with Winterguard
Old 12-25-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Listen to what topsites said. I know in louisiana the only thing you can apply spray broadcast etc without a Commercial Applicators License is water!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassrangers View Post
Listen to what topsites said. I know in louisiana the only thing you can apply spray broadcast etc without a Commercial Applicators License is water!!!!
YES THEY WILL GET YOU $$$$$
Old 12-26-2007, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

In all states, you must be a licensed applicator to apply any product which is registered with the EPA as a pesticide, so as Wells correctly pointed out, this would include any of the Scotts blends with Haltz, weed control, or insect control. In a few states fertilizer is also regulated. Check with your local dept. of Agriculture.

As for the Quick 36, I hear nothing but good about the Samurai, so long as you get the Kawi. motor, go for it.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, this is true,....and Michigan is one state that you DON'T want to mess around with. Any straight ferts are ok, but without even being able to do weed control, what's the sense? you are only feeding and actually helping the weeds to grow. This goes without saying insect control, and/or disease control. The best bet would be - is to do as many other maintenance companies do, simply hire a lawn care company to take care of their fert. and control needs and just get a little kickback from the company. It goes pretty deep, because lawfully, you can not even bill the customers for any pesticide work, therefore _subbing" ids sort of out of the question, unless the billing is done through the application business. If you have any questions oin this feel free to post.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.