Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2001, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

got my 1st wb today

i went scag even though i no your all exmarxs fans here.36 hydro 15 kawi with the scag advantage deck and jumbo grass cather $4,800 i paid .im really happy i used it for about two hours today i love the cut of it just got to get use to the leavers.i need to bye me a grease gun tommorrow and i hope i dont have all the problems you guys had with scags.i almost bought the stander but dealer strongly suggested i start with a wb first.the only other wb they sold was a toro.im happy though
Old 10-17-2001, 01:15 AM
Millenium Member

Good luck. How are your forarms?
Old 10-17-2001, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ron...Kirby is right. My forearms are huge now! I still think my Scag is a great machine and my wife really like the forearms. Seriously though...if you add a sulky to it you might notice problems with power on slopes. Scag makes 3 different springs for the hydro system. I am currently using the middle spring which has enough tension to give me power, but not enough to make things ache like they did when I first got it. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 10-17-2001, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

SCAG makes good quality equipment. Very tough. My dealer has a comparison of different parts from SCAG and Exmark. Cutaways of handlebar tubing, spindles, pulleys, and other things. He sells both SCAG and Exmark. IMHO and his, I think SCAG structurally out builds other brands of walkbehinds. Its the quality of cut that they need to work on.

Anyway's....That is just a lot of money for 36" of cut. For 2K more you can have a fancy dancy 60" ZTR of your choice.

Ron, I'm not saying that you got a bad deal, or made a bad decision, just that SCAG needs to re-evaluate the pricing structure of their products. Especially their walkbehinds.

Used to be you could get a 48" Belt drive SCAG for $2,000. They may be more now, but add $2800 for a hydro? Just for a pair of pumps, motors, and hoses??? Thats not to say the credit for a beltdrives trans, belts, pulleys, brakes and pulleys, shifter, you get the idea. Must be that fuzzy math!!

Good luck with your machine Ron, it will last forever!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-17-2001, 10:46 AM
Gravely Manufacturer

The same setup would cost $4308 if you chose a Gravely instead. Therefore, the Scag price isn't too out of line with the rest of the industry...you didn't get ripped off. Did you get the ultimate with the 18" tires...that is their premium model?

Barry
Gravely Guy
Old 10-17-2001, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding that grease gun

Were old clothes the first time you fill it with grease! I never got messier in all my life until I tried to insert a grease cartridge the first time in to that #$%@#$# grease gun. Still have not got the hang of it. Want to see a grown man cry? Tell me to reload a grease gun!

Cordially,
Sheppard
Old 10-17-2001, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

first time i loaded one took 45 min-and the language would've made eddie murphy blush.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 10-17-2001, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$4800 is a lot of $ pushing 36"

Unless you have numerous small or gated yards, it seems like that is a lot of money to cut 36."

Most 36" mowers I have seen really are not that heavy and are easily manipulated with brute force through the handlebars when the belts just don't provide enough manueverability.

I have found every bagger on a commercial walk-behind to be useless, so please keep us posted of your results.

I think if you find yourself on a 2 acre yard with a 36 you will begin to desire a wider deck, after taking a whole afternoon to cut and trim it.

K.B.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

congrats on your new machine

if you like it and feel like you got a decent deal thats all that should matter, let us and the people at scag know how you feel, i just recently got my first z, i dont know what the heck i was waiting on, went from a 455 jd, which i'm still going to utilize, but the z fits my needs right now.........

best of luck with your new machine

keith
Old 10-17-2001, 10:29 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
We have the scagg 36 ulitimate hydro with a standard deck and ours has been great also a great cut that stripes really good, so the one you just got should cut even better than ours because of the advantage deck .It should last you a long time congradlations on your new mower