Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Rubber Over the tire tracks

There seems to be quite a few different manufacturer's out there....I am thinking of a set for my 262 Cat.
Any opinions?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you want to use them for. They can be a pain to install and remove, but they do help avoid ruts on lawns, and reduce scuff marks on sidewalks and patios. Most skid steers have slight differences in wheel circumference and will leave black marks even when going straight. Over the tire rubber tracks do not distribute the weight as well as real track machines and do not perform as well in mud, In fact if you get into some clay or marl that is soupy enough, the tracks will slip around the wheels and become ineffective. They are bad for demolition as debris can be compacted between the tire and track giving you an instant flat. The rubber tracks excell in sand though, and they give great traction without the extra width needed for sand tires. I use old worn out ones on my Bobcat around the yard and to do small jobs for friends. The smooth rubber tracks do prevent a lot of damage.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you need is McLaren's steel tracks with rubber pads. This system is heavier, but they're easier to take off if you ever need and I believe the steel track is more durable vs. a large "rubber band" style track. However, reviews for both have been good, but if I was getting a set this is what I'd buy

http://www.mclarenusa.com/protrac/pr...r-loaders.html

The only downside to these tracks is they're a little heavy with the steel + rubber pads. But other than that, you have a lot of added tractive area to assist in soft conditions with the added ability to run across paved surfaces without fear of tearing anything up.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't argue with that, if a steel track is OK, that's a great system. You get the stable tension of a steel track with rubber still protecting your pavement. My only concern would be for uneven strain on the skid steer's drive chains. As long as your tires are kept the same size there would be no problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I vote for the Mclaren system too, at least they are self cleaning if you get some rocks into the track, they just pop out easier.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96