Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so what put the hole in the tailgate?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be a 4 in the mornin mistake i made! It was January, i was pickin up some fert for the spring, loaded all the bags in the back of the trailer. I didnt check the trailer hitch like i usually do, went over a bump and the damn thing came off the ball! I was lucky, the trailer stuck into my tailgate and not someone elses. I think i had a small heart attack that mornin!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnzilla2 View Post
gregg 1

agla

Its a raised bed. It will have plants in the spring, we had to reduce the amount of grass we use here due to city regulatiions about watering. The idea came about due to the uneven lay of the land and the excess amount of dirt from the grading. It was not supposed to be that big originally. It also has a pondless water feature(the big blue pot) Hope that answer your question. if not yell at me again.

Thanks for checking it out.
I'm pretty sure thats not going to be even close to answering AGLA's question. He's looking for specifics on the general construction of the wall, such as base prep, backfill material, overall height from bottom course to top of wall, compaction from top to bottom and on and on and on. Generally speaking all the things it takes for longevity of your beautiful work and all the things we ponder relentlessly over. Got construction pics?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotcha.

The wall itself measures 10'x61x10x10. its about 30" tall around 4 bricks high in most places some less some more. The block is a split face.

Footer is a foot deep with rebar, its backfilled with rock
18"-24" wide, landscape fabric is behind the wall. The rest is dirt we already had. The drip system runs about a foot off the back wall.

I am not a mason but im friends with quite a few(my father in law). We sub all our block work like this one out. Like I said it was a learning experience building that wall. It was originally supposed to be railroad ties(budget), I was not looking forward to building that, so i was an easy sell on the block wall even though this was a little more as far as cost wise. This thing aint goin anywhere anytime soon. I have some pics somwhere, gotta find em to post em. Maybe this will answer will be a little more informative.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Job looks good and you really cleaned up that backyard. Just curious but doesnt that big chain hanging over your tailgate just banging around on your paint make you a little nervous??
Old 12-29-2007, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah its like100 ft long. Its secure!(like my trailer was) It has a two diffrent hooks that are attached to the hitch. I wasnt in a rush but we were'nt pulling real hard, plus there was a wall like 15ft away. I've been pulling bushs and trees out like that for years. Turned it into an art form. We hooked the chain up to like 8 or 9 chamisa plants(native) which have a shallow root base. They popped out of the ground like little carrots!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1 View Post
I'm pretty sure thats not going to be even close to answering AGLA's question. He's looking for specifics on the general construction of the wall, such as base prep, backfill material, overall height from bottom course to top of wall, compaction from top to bottom and on and on and on. Generally speaking all the things it takes for longevity of your beautiful work and all the things we ponder relentlessly over. Got construction pics?
i had one come off strait up the gate and just under the ford logo. it went in. my buddys truck hes gone threw 3 gates always the weekends i didnt mow with him nobody would check the ball and make ur it was lockd in. they did get in the habbit of wrappin the chains alittle tighter thou

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I meant like nervous as in it scratching or denting your tailgate...??
Old 12-29-2007, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

uh yeah. i passed that phase about 4 trucks ago.......it was tuff but u have to move on..
Old 12-29-2007, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoetschOutdoor View Post
I meant like nervous as in it scratching or denting your tailgate...??
Years ago a worker picked up a pallet of material in a pickup with a bedliner, didn't secure it, stopped abruptly at a traffic light and smashed the front of bed into the cab. then if that wasn't enough he took off to fast with the green light and smashed the tailgate into a horseshoe shape.