Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is very interesting it made me ask myself somethings. the post title i would say landscaper. but by some of the definitions i would say bullshooter. very tricky. i have a diploma in landscape design but people here would still say bullshooter. for the most i have not tackled any thing overmy head ummm welll wayover my head. my biggest budget has been $3200 don't laugh remember i'm a bullshooter. but that job is my best looking and feeling. my first sod install first house sitting on dirt with a clean slate. first subbing job, i had to getit rough and finish graded. i tell you what though i aam not going to stay a bullshooter forever. i'm drinking milk now and i get better stronger and faster or popeyes a sissy

AGLA: YOU HAVE HAD SOME OF THE MOST INTERESTING RESPONCE I HAVE READ HERE YOU ARE IN MY TOP 5 FAVORITES HERE PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHY I WONT BULLSHOOT FOREEVER BUT START RECIEVING INVITATIONS TO BID
Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

ICPI Certified Professional Hardscaper here and we learn all the time.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i'm totally bs
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have landscape anywhere in my business info but on the few jobs that I have picked up this winter, I have brought in the right people when I got to a point that I was over my head.

I don't touch irrigation! Those guys have a trade for a reason and because they are there, I let them do their job. Yes it is a little less cash in my pocket now, but the customer won't be calling me back for dead grass or plants because I totally muffed the sprinkler system.

I have a big job coming up on wednesday of this week and since I have never removed an entire side of a yard and replaced with a flower bed and put all the plants and what have yous, I am bringing in a close friend and we are splitting the job. I may actually give him a little more of the money because I am learning from him even though it is my customer and my job.

Yes, I am a BS artist but as I learn I retain and won't make mistakes that will hurt my business or the industry! If necessary, I will simply defer to a bigger and better company before I will hurt myself!
Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

While I do agree that most Lco's are likely not as fully qualified as they would like to be and I could be guilty of this... But true landscaping involves working with terrain, I'm talking you probably have at the very least a tractor with a loader and a backhoe, thou a bulldozer would qualify, moving portions of the earth such as for mining involves landscaping, see where I'm coming from?

So, under qualified who, right?

But a french drain is landscaping, so are those landscaping timbers, technically installs such as flower beds and mulch is landscaping, laying down white stone in a walk way is landscaping, not sure about an irrigation system but it probably fits, once we get down to lawn mowing and hedge trimming I think we're outside the landscaping category.

By the way, what we do falls under agricultural, city farming some of us say.
And farming in many ways involves landscaping, plowing and tilling sure is, not sure about core aeration but seeding might.

See landscaping is a very broad term, it encompasses thousands of sub-categories not just within the garden and ag sectors but into the industrial sector as well. It is so broad in fact I don't use it for myself because of the very reasons you mention, but I don't find but so much fault in other Lco's using it, if that's how they wish to describe what they do, so be it, that's everybody's choice.

Last edited by topsites; 12-29-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think alot of people need to worry about their own qualifications and not worry about anybody elses. Very few people on these threads would report anyone that wasnt operating as a legitimate business so why worry about these basically non existant qualifications to landscape. Lets face it, you dont need a license to do most of it in most states. No license needed= no qualifications needed. I did like Topsites point. You could have 4 degrees and still not know how to move dirt or build a retaining wall. Let the buyer beware. Thats the only rule Ive heard of in this game.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some say I'm the king of bull********.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Hey I think I'll buy a couple of pots and pans and some knifes and call myself a chef.

Dave...
If people eat it, and don't get sick or die, and you pass the health dept inspections, you are a chef.

I don't advertise landscaping, but I am getting more involved in it. I started out just doing loader work but the more you can do the better. I'm going to take some classes this year, and try to challenge myself with some bigger landscaping projects. For now, though, I leave the designing to those trained in design, and I do the implementing.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

When some of you gentlemen said you hired someone to do the landscape design end of the business when one of your customers ask you to do it, how do you go about doing that? what are the cost usually? And after the designer completes the work for you is it clear enough that you actually know what you are doing??
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here is something to chew on, I never even worked in a flower bed, never even have seen a piece of sod...stopped at a nice house to ask about mowing their yard in April, and they asked me to clean out flower beds and remulch. They paid me $1000.00! She said since we did such a good job could we install beds in the back yard. boom she paid us over $3000, and she went to the nursery and picked out and bought the plants and let us us her tractor. We then asked about 2 dead trees in the yard, and she paid us $1000 to cut them down and haul them off. Needless to say we bacame "landscapers" from that point on. We did three jobs after that around $15000.00, then got the holy grail of jobs. A brand new million dollar home with just dirt around it. I bought a fancy landscaping software and designed their yard on my laptop. After presenting them with it, they said when can you start? It was a $120000.00 job! I was scared to death when they said that. I rented a skid steer (with air) got about 10 friends and family, hired a stone mason to do the 1800 sq ft of sidewalks and the retaining wall, and hired a septic guy to put in the sprinkler system. Built berms in the yard, layed out the beds, then I payed the nursery a little extra to come out and physically make my plant order. I spent nearly $27000 just in the plants! We layed over 20000 square feet of sod, and the job looks awesome! We even got full size trees in the yard. I am just saying, that just because you don't have a degree, or have been to landscape design school, It doesn't mean you can't ask people's opinions and find out how to do things from someone who does. Hell, the nursery even delivered the plants and placed them where they thought they should go, and they provided all the chemicles that we needed to make sure the plants grow right and look good. The best part about the job was the 20yr old japenese maple we brought in and built the sidewalks around.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"