Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Colorado Springs Area!!!!!!!!

I am starting up business again here in the Springs and could use some help. I am going to service the following areas: All of 80919, Briargate from North of Woodmen Rd to Powers Blvd to Hwy 83 up to Monument. I had my lco business here from 99 to 04 and moved to Fl but am back and hope to make some good contacts with other fellow lco's. I would like to have other companies I can build a professional relationship with and count on to give referrals to. Look forward to hearing from anyone from the area.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

John - I'm here if you want to refer sprinkler work. Repairs, maintanence, service, start ups, fall blow ous. No installs although I have others to refer to. Are you going to be doing lawn maintanence or landscaping?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Dear DanaMac,

Nice to hear from some one in the Springs. I recognize you from when I use to live here. How is your business? From my understanding you only do maintenance and blowouts of sprinkers am I correct? I will be doing everything that has to do with lawn maintenance and some small landscaping projects. I do sprinkler work as well but it would be nice to have a contact that I can refer work to if need be. I have always noticed that their are not many people on lawnsite from the spings area. Do you network with anyone here? Well gotta go.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphag View Post
Dear DanaMac,

Nice to hear from some one in the Springs. I recognize you from when I use to live here. How is your business? From my understanding you only do maintenance and blowouts of sprinkers am I correct? I will be doing everything that has to do with lawn maintenance and some small landscaping projects. I do sprinkler work as well but it would be nice to have a contact that I can refer work to if need be. I have always noticed that their are not many people on lawnsite from the spings area. Do you network with anyone here? Well gotta go.
Yeah I have a couple others from LS that I work with. And yes, all my company does is sprinkler service, repair, maintenance, start ups, blow outs, etc. No installs. We occasionally do a redesign of a system when they are installed poorly. No lawn maintenance or landscaping. Let's talk sometime before spring. I'm on vacation in Mass. right now.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

sounds good. lets keep in touch. hopefully we can meet this spring.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I am also in the springs. Admittedly I am a small fry. Just retired from the military last fall and this is giving me something to do. I have mostly used equipment and haven't really used much of it yet. Did some "sub" work for a company in Denver till my back gave out on me. Just can't keep up with the professional pace.

I also plowed snow this last winter. Wasn't as much fun as I had envisioned but again, gave me something to do and a reason to watch the news. My son turned out to be the best shoveler I had. Let a couple of adults go cause they were milking out the hours too much on me.

Just picked up a skid loader that is too heavy for my trailer (I did make it home though) so if yall know about a built up trailer that is on the cheap side, let me know.

Not really sure what I am going to do with the machine. Just had always wanted one. Shits and giggles I guess.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys cold yet?

Hey everybody, just wanted to give this thread a bump and see if we canít actually get Colorado going. My name is Mike and I used to post on this site quite frequently, but a couple of Iraq rotations have taken their toll on my ďSocial NetworkingĒ side. Anyway, Iím getting out of service in a couple of months and looking to get my business cranked back up. Just wanted to get some relationships with other pros going. Iím looking to start mostly in lawn maintenance and minor landscaping, but my vision takes me out of that business and exclusively into large installs if God wills it to be. I do have a question though, how is the business in the Springs in the winter? What do you guys do to keep you busy, and is it enough to do ok? Iím debating on moving back to NC to work there for the more temperate weather, but I really love Colorado and if you can be successful in this business there, would love to stay. Anyway, nice to meet you allÖ.and nice to see you again Dana. Look forward to hearing from you soon, Mike.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I honestly didn't do much in the later part of the summer and fall. I had one project job that I was nickel and dime 'd on and then only put out a few bids after that. I prefer projects rather than weekly maintenance. With the gas so high, alot of people didn't want to spend as much money and I wasn't willing to bid low enough to get the job. Let those "uninsured aka 2 guys and a pickup" have it instead.

This winter, my plowing lineup is much smaller than last year. Everyone is expecting a dry winter so they are less willing to commit to a contract. I did subcontracting in that area last year, but am on my own this winter.

I supplement my business with a regular job two days out of the week. Might be taking that to full time if they offer me the right job. Is in "at risk" youth treatment.

Was offered some sub work if I would learn sprinklers but my knees are too old for that. If you are good at that, repairs are always needed.

Also looking for the new GI bill to put me back in school. Perhaps that is something for you to smooth out the edges as well. Can't beat getting paid to go to school.

Ken
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Ken, it's nice to meet you. I'm definitely banking on the GI bill to be a decent supplemental income, that and a nice little nest egg I've been working on should get me through a year or two. How did you go about lining up plowing contracts anyway? Any tips you could offer a southern boy who has never touched a plow in his life? I owned a lawn maintenance/landscaping business for two or three years in NC and did pretty well with it, but then got patriotic and joined the Army after September 11th. I do not however, have many ideas about what to do in the winter in a colder climate like this. If I were absolutely determined to do this full time, what would you guys suggest to get me through the winters? Thanks for the input, Mike.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=Diablo;2668442]How did you go about lining up plowing contracts anyway?
[/QUOTE

A guy up in Denver got me started last year. I was working for him within a couple of weeks after retirement. He encouraged me to buy a truck and plow. And then he lined up some jobs through US Maintenance for me. Sub contracting through him of course.

It was a good push for me, but I didn't go that route this year. I am just word of mouth for the plowing. I plow my insurance provider's lot and my son's orthodontist's lot. About 3 hours work after snow. Figure I can expand more next winter if this works out for me.

Bad thing about the plow truck and such, have to carry the commercial vehicle insurance all year long and it isn't cheap. I don't expect to break even this year. Not enough snow.

As for getting started, go to "plow site" and offer yourself as a shoveler or such. You would be on telephone standby but the money can be decent if you are willing to work hard. Best part is the boss will carry the insurance.

I wouldn't recommend buying a truck and plow this winter, but you can slowly work your way up to sub work. When you do buy a truck, don't go cheap unless it is a great deal. I got a great deal on my truck and plow and don't regret it, but it would be nice to have automatic tranny and a big block. It was the 5th truck I had looked at. Alot of them out there was just worn out rigs where the seller was upgrading.

I have a 3/4 ton dodge w/ a 360 which plows fine, but is a slug getting from store to store.

I wish I had more experience to help you more, I was motivated by the plenty of snow in 06/07 (though I was on a remote) but so was alot of other people. If you are watching craigslist, you will notice alot of people are selling out now.

But hey, nice to meet you. Good luck in the conversion to civilian life and hollar at me if you decide you need a regular job in the mean time. Where I work is always hiring and the starting pay (if you have at least 60 hrs of college) is $11 an hour. My direct supervisor is a former Army Lt and I am a retired Air Force NCO. They like military people there. Lots of employees are prior cops or military. Only bad part is the commute, is down in Cannon City.