Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quality Landscape Lights

I have 30 years experience with 120/240 but am a novice at 12V. I always get the best materials I can within reason. I recently got a Panasonic drill with two batteries and charger for $260 when I could have bought Dewalt for $150. I also wasn't shopping for any $500 drills.

I know this is a controversial topic after reading many posts regarding manufacturers, distributors, direct to consumer, etc. I would very much like to avoid that issue.

I'll add that while I don't mind spending $260 for a quality LV light fixture if I have to, I'm not seeing equivalent value to my Panasonic set. Seems like a light fixture should be a fraction of the cost. If there's something really special about a high quality fixture that makes it worth that much, I would appreciate that information. I understand exterior fixtures take a beating.

With all this in mind...if you put all the LV lights on a shelf and let go of which was cheaper, which paid more of your overhead, or which sent you on a paid vacation...which are the ones you would pick as best built, best lasting, low-maintenance, very low callback, etc. and under $260?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is somewhat of a difficult question that I can't answer with great confidence. Each of the major manufacturers have fixtures that are exceptional, and some that are not worth the cardboard box they are shipped in. Experience and trial and error is really the only way to determine which products will give you the level of reliability that you need in your territory (ie; climate, humidity, temperatures, proximity to salt water, etc) Personally, I believe that all lighting manufacturers should test their products in Florida before they send their wares into mass production.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
That is somewhat of a difficult question that I can't answer with great confidence. Each of the major manufacturers have fixtures that are exceptional, and some that are not worth the cardboard box they are shipped in. Experience and trial and error is really the only way to determine which products will give you the level of reliability that you need in your territory (ie; climate, humidity, temperatures, proximity to salt water, etc) Personally, I believe that all lighting manufacturers should test their products in Florida before they send their wares into mass production.
I would be glad to know fixtures that look good together even if they are from different manufacturers, or three or four high-quality fixture from the same manufacturer even if others are not great. An additional question:

Are the same fixtures around for years and years or do the manufacturers change them like car models? In other words, this used to be a great fixture and now not so much...or they improved this fixture correcting a flaw.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tiger, you will not find one manufacturer that makes a complete line of perfect fixtures. It takes a lot of trial and error to find those fixtures that will achieve the results and longevity you need while also complimenting the properties, architecture and budgets of your clients. In most of my jobs you will find products from at least 4 different manufacturers and on some up to 7 or more. This is what is known in the industry as 'cherry picking'. I pick the best component for the application, period. Others here will tout the benefits brand loyalty and say they only install fixtures from ABC Co. So be it, to each their own.

There is a thread on this site called Manufacturers Compendium. it is probably a few years out of date now, but still is a very comprehensive list of mostly top grade outdoor lighting manufacturers. Check it out.

That being said, for starting out, you should look at products from the likes of: (In no particular order and just off the top of my head)

Vista
CopperMoon
Kichler
FX Lumiere
Hadco
Auroralight
Hunza
BK
Vision3
Excelsior
Illumicare
Clarolux
Advantage
VOLT

(No doubt others here will add onto the list... which was the idea behind the compendium)

As for which specific fixtures to pick from the hundreds that are offered by those companies... well that is where the trial and error comes into play.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the guys who sent PMs with specific info. If I can help you with anything regarding 120/240... PM or email me.