Register free!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

best bulb hour

Just wondering what each person's take is on MR bulb hours. Is it best to pay more for longest hour life? I am assuming everyone has service contracts.

I was thinking of three year increments, change in response to calls, change all after three years/clean/re-seal, and maybe clean/inspect once or twice per year also. This would probably be best with longest life bulbs?

Am I on the right track??
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

with the coastal areas your working i would assume salt spray will need to be cleaned semi frequently.

I service most clients at 3-4 month intervals. I change burn outs then. I switched from ultraline ushios to reg ushios and still looking to try out the osram titans but just have not gotten an order together.

From what i can tell and others have verified the reg ushios perform just as long if not longer than the ultralines. I had SEVERAL cast lamps fail early (within 6 mo of install) and also several ushio ultras fail premature as well. So far with reg ushios all is well but its much too soon for me to say for sure.

If you plan to warranty lamps for 3 years you better make sure you price it accordingly. I might be going to Chris's program and doing yearly relamps and save alot of headaches.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mike,
I do yearly re-lamps and a cleaning/adjustment every 6 months. Ushio is a good bulb. I have had the best luck with the GE constant color. I just buy the 3-5k hour lamps since I am doing it every year whether they are burned out or not. I figuire they are close to being 'timed' out. I don't like going back to just change 1 bulb or 2 at a time. It just is not cost efficient for me.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is good info, I hope others get a chance to voice their opinion on what works for them, given their market size, etc.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Mike,
I do yearly re-lamps and a cleaning/adjustment every 6 months. Ushio is a good bulb. I have had the best luck with the GE constant color. I just buy the 3-5k hour lamps since I am doing it every year whether they are burned out or not. I figuire they are close to being 'timed' out. I don't like going back to just change 1 bulb or 2 at a time. It just is not cost efficient for me.
does everyone agree to your yearly relamps ? what do you do with the clients who decline it and want it changed as needed.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A yearly re lamp is definitly a safe bet but it can be overkill on some systems.
A good tip for those who like to relamp according to date or for those who just want to monitor burn out times is you can take a paint pen and date the lamp before installing it. We would have our guys date the lamp then initial it so we alwyas knew who initially installed the fixture or serviced it last.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Joey, that's a cool idea. Billy also told me to write the wattage on the lamp, so it's easier to read (brilliant idea, especially when doing demo's at night!!).

I wonder if anyone does 1.5, 2, or 3 year automatic replacement, with inspections, service calls, and per fixture replacements between??

I've read where some lighting guys use three-year flat fee service plans. One guy has first three free (built into original install). I wonder if it makes sense to use longest possible lamp hours for that model?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
does everyone agree to your yearly relamps ? what do you do with the clients who decline it and want it changed as needed.
Billy,
If they elect to go without the service plan the bulbs are not warranteed and if I need to replace them it is a minimum of an hour service call. I figuire my drive time plus the bulb. When I tell them this they always opt for the service plan.
If they opt out of the plan altogether, then they are replacing their own bulbs and servicing their own system. They will call me in time for some tweeking I am sure.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been using Ushio lamps for quite some time and really think it's better to use the regular lamps than the extended life "ultra" line.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-30-2007, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
I've been using Ushio lamps for quite some time and really think it's better to use the regular lamps than the extended life "ultra" line.
What does ushio do to prevent the reflector from wearing off before the bulb burns out? Some of the bulbs made by some manufacturers last a very long time but they are worth a damn once the mirrors go south. GE , I find has the longest lasting mirrors.