Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

yearly relamps, yearly cleaning. ushio regulars. people that want the system on all night long get relamps every 6 months. warranty is for 1 year unless dusk to dawn.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave;

The service to clean lenses, seal, re-aim, trim plant material, etc., would be the same for all-night bulbs as 1/2 night.

Why don't you just charge them more and use the 10,000 hr on those? Be upfront and say all night not a prob, I would just have to charge a little more for the bulbs each time I service.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mike. Do a search here on "Ushio Ultraline" and see what I have gone through with those lamps. Others are reporting poor lamp life with them too.

I have yet to hear back from Ushio regarding my problems with the Ultraline lamps... they have about 50 of them that I returned for analysis.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have little to no use at all for ushio bulbs. The 10 watter is one of the worst Mr-16's every produced. Great idea if it lasted more than 3 months inside a fixture. Probably better off going to home depot and use their cheap MR-16 offshores. At least you know what your getting and expect it not to last , the reflector flake off and the ceramic to seperate from the bulb.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete scalia View Post
What does ushio do to prevent the reflector from wearing off before the bulb burns out? Some of the bulbs made by some manufacturers last a very long time but they are [not] worth a damn once the mirrors go south. GE , I find has the longest lasting mirrors.
I agree 100% after inserting the "not"...
Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

MR16 Reflectors

From what I understand, garnered from a variety of sources over the course of years.....

GE Constant Color MR16 Halogen Lamps make use of a dichroic manufacturing process that sees the reflector cast into the glass of the lamp. This protects the reflective material from the UV created by the lamp capsule. In so protecting the coating, it does not fade, flake or degrade like so many other MR16 lamps. Also, this allows for some interesting heat dissipation qualities. The GE lamps reflect 80% of the heat created out the back of the lamp and into the body of the fixture. (This is a very important feature when used in interior lighting - keeping the heat off the clients' and the objects being lit.)

Conversely, "Aluminized reflectors" are those lamps that have the aluminum reflective material applied to the inner surface of the lamp. Here it is bombarded by the UV and heat of the capsule and thus color shifts, fades and flakes away over time. The heat signature of these lamps is almost 100% forward through the lens of the fixture.

A simple way of telling between two lamps is to power them up outside of a fixture and look at the light coming backwards through the reflector and body of the lamp. A GE will allow virtually No light to travel through the reflector, the cheaper aluminized lamps will send all sorts of light backwards through the reflector...typically a pink or purple hue can be seen.

I have talked with Ushio reps. and they claim that their lamps are also dichroic but I have many examples here of Ushio's that have faded and flaking reflectors... which tells me that one company's 'dichroic process' is clearly not equal to another's.

For my money, GE invented the MR16 and perfected it. Sure they cost a bit more, but they really are worth it. It amazes me to return to some systems that were installed years ago, to find burned out GE lamps with completely clear and shiny optics still intact.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's all in the mirrors. Always has been always will be when it comes to MR-16. MR-8 and 11 too for that matter
Old 01-02-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Solecki - INTEGRA View Post
Mike. Do a search here on "Ushio Ultraline" and see what I have gone through with those lamps. Others are reporting poor lamp life with them too.

I have yet to hear back from Ushio regarding my problems with the Ultraline lamps... they have about 50 of them that I returned for analysis.
James do you know who you sent these lamps to at Ushio? I did the same thing with about 25 burnt out Ultraline. I will follow up with my guy on the 50 you sent.

Thanks,

Joey D.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I posted this in our AOLP forum a while back and I figure i will share it here as well.

Here is the response from the Ushio Tech Rep. Please read. Again Iw ill have pricing info ASAP.

Good Morning Joey....
This is a good question by your customer... and it brings out one of the significant quality differences between USHIO and the competition.

USHIO MR16 lamps have a TiO2 (Titanium Oxide) reflector coating, that is applied in a repeated multi-layer manufacturing process of coating application, baking on, and polishing. In total, there are about 7 process/production steps to the reflector coating process alone. The Titanium Oxide reflector coating is highly polished, high reflectivity, high heat resistance, which provides better resistance to the effects of the heating/cooling cycle, resulting in a reflector that resists cracking and flaking over the rated life of the lamp. IN the case of the Titan, that is up to 18,000 hours.

Another feature of the TITAN (and ULTRALINE 10,000 hour) lamps is that they all have a front lens as an integral part of the lamp package. USHIO understands the importance of the reflector integrity over the life of the lamp, and how reflector integrity affects light output, color consistency, and overall lamp performance. The front lens on all the ULTRALINE lamps acts to block moisture and other contaminants from condensing on the interior of the lamp, where the corrosive effects of that contamination could affect reflector performance. This is another way in which USHIO insures that the performance of the TITAN and ULTRALINE lamps will meet the rated specifications.

When Ultraline TITAN and 10,000 hour lamps are compared to competitor lamps which use an Aluminum Oxide compound for the reflector, our lamps will out last and outperform the competition every time. (We have a short marketing piece on his issue, I'll forward you a hard copy)
Your customer is smart to question this part of the lamps rated performance, as many competitor lamps have coatings that burn off as early as 1000 hours.

Bottom line: If any USHIO lamp ever exhibits a cracking or flaking reflector under normal lifetime use, we will warranty that lamp as non-conforming.

Best regards,

Clemens Saalfeld
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

James is right on the GEs. I have never had a problem with them. Great Lamp.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com