Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My first two years as a "lighting only" company still had a few electrical jobs here and there to make ends meet. Now I sub out my electrical work that needs to be done. So you may want to use your landscaping to fill in the blanks so-to-speak until you find that you don't have time for the landscaping work.

As for this years goals, I have enjoyed an increase of over 100% each of the last 4 years in this business. My goal this year is for a 25% increase because I have reached the point where doubling my business is not practical.

I think this year is going to be the year that I learn to stream line and be more efficient which should increase my profit margin. I should have less expenses this year like the trailer and some tools but I do plan on replacing one of my trucks.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
My first two years as a "lighting only" company still had a few electrical jobs here and there to make ends meet. Now I sub out my electrical work that needs to be done. So you may want to use your landscaping to fill in the blanks so-to-speak until you find that you don't have time for the landscaping work.

As for this years goals, I have enjoyed an increase of over 100% each of the last 4 years in this business. My goal this year is for a 25% increase because I have reached the point where doubling my business is not practical.

I think this year is going to be the year that I learn to stream line and be more efficient which should increase my profit margin. I should have less expenses this year like the trailer and some tools but I do plan on replacing one of my trucks.
Those numbers sound tremendous Paul! But 100% of what? Sales? Gross profit? Net Profit? Do tell! I think if I were having that kind of growth, there would be no question as to if I would increase the size of my company. I'd just start with a quality sales person first to lighten your personal load. If you're having that kind of income explosion, what's the problem with that?

Last edited by Chris J; 01-01-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Chris, those numbers are gross sales but I have always maintained a 25% net profit margin. I just ran our numbers for this year and we were over 100% growth (gross) again this year. I just don't think that we can come close to that another year. Sooner or later things have to start leveling off. I would be very happy with a 25% increase in our gross this year.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't understand your reasoning. If you have a track record of 100% growth for 4 consecutive years, what would make you think you would drop to 25% this year? I've always experienced some kind of "gain" whether it be small or huge. If your accounting is showing 100% growth consecutively, then you should capitalize on it while your market is hot. You can always track the income monthly, and let the additional labor go if need be in times of stress. Why don't you take advantage of it while it's here?
Tell you what big shot: I'll move to Texas and you can train me in your ways. As long as you continue your upward spiral, I'll work for you for a small yearly salary of 100k (this should be nothing considering you should already be doing at least 500k and 1m next year). I'll gladly take the pay cut to release myself from the headache. If it doesn't work out, I'll move back to FL. Deal?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These percentage #'s don't mean a thing when they can't be referenced to totals for gross sales .
I've already been candid with my numbers. I've gone on the record here with them whether you believe them or not.
How about sharing yours? Nightscape? Granola? Mr. Johnson? Mr. irig8tor? others?
Just your gross sales for landscape lighting in 2007 that's all.

Somehow I feel this is not going to be answered and

You can go and get angry with your response or not respond at all which is what probably will happen . I mean the moment of truth be told, some of you guys talk a really good game and try to persuade others with your thinking which is fine. However if your doing 50K a yr or less like that guy in the article I don't think your advice holds as much weight as someone whose doing much larger business.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Pete,
Your request for bank statements are very tacky and are really not worth the response. If it will ease your pain, however, My gross sales for this year (including service) was X,XXX,XXX.XX
Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not so fast Johnson!
How is that going to work when I was gonna make a trip to Florida and study under the best CLO in Florida......Chris J! If not I am going to Texas with you to study under the Master himself. Paul G (MLO) OK I better wait to see if you can stand me at the AOLP conference first.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Pete,
Your request for bank statements are very tacky and are really not worth the response. If it will ease your pain, however, My gross sales for this year (including service) was X,XXX,XXX.XX
I figured as much. What's to hide nobody's asking for your taxable net?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pete,
At this point in my lighting career (short) I envy the guy making 50K and doing magazine articles. If Johnson doesnt take me under his wing in Forida maybe I can hitch a ride out east and you can show me the ropes Pete. Hey a fews crumbs of that 600K sounds pretty good to me!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkanders View Post
Not so fast Johnson!
How is that going to work when I was gonna make a trip to Florida and study under the best CLO in Florida......Chris J! If not I am going to Texas with you to study under the Master himself. Paul G (MLO) OK I better wait to see if you can stand me at the AOLP conference first.
I'm sure I can stand you Keith, the question will be if you can stand me! Now all we have to do is combine forces and convince Mr. Paul to merge!