Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ultimately, who really cares besides Pete? I could give a rat's arse as to what Pete or Chris or Mike or Dave or Paul's gross sales are. I prefer to know and understand the character and composition of my colleagues and competition. Gross sales are not the measure of 'the man' nor the measure of a sucessful business.

To have someone who will not even provide their company name and phone number (hardly "personal information") request and demand to know other people's gross sales is ridiculous.

Take a look at some of the largest privately held Corporations in North America and see if you can find out what their gross receipts are. You can't, because it is not public knowledge... and yet they are wildly successful companies.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In a sense I agree with you Paul, but you have to remember that Pete stated Gross sales only. Every company is different in the way they operate and what their overhead expenses are. How many vehicles do they have, how many employees work for them etc. Stating your net profit numbers would be a big no-no, but gross sales wouldn't hurt anything. You also have to remember that it's purely a number. Most people won't assume that a company is making too much money based on a gross number alone...now if someone stated that they grossed $x,xxx,xxx.xx on 50 completed annual projects, then the perception might be a little different.

Actually James, you can get the annual numbers for the largest privately held companies in North America. Forbes puts out those numbers every year as well as what the company is worth in total assets.

Look, I'm just looking at it from a certain perspective....some people don't like disclosing numbers, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that...others don't mind putting it out there, and if you're not sharing your total profits, then I can't see how it will hurt someone. To each their own.

Last edited by extlights; 01-02-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who doesn't want to discuss gross is either embarassed about it or doesn't understand business. What are you doing out there anyway? Doing business or twidling your thumbs.

I retract the question as I see no one had the nerve to go on the record which tells me everything.

This is not a contest but it is also what is typical of contractors. They like to talk a big game and act big time but in reality many are just getting by or not even getting by at all. However you'd never know it how they act here.

All the truth comes out once you ask somebody to put their money forth to back their words.

This is not meant to single anyone out. It just is what it is.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
you might be making too much money and therefore try to get you to lower your price.

Do you think that successful business people think like this?

Do you ask McDonald's to lower the price of their happy meal because they must be making too much. How many Golden arches do they have all over the world now? Where do you think that money came from to grow that business? From customers who asked for discounts because they are making "too much money".

Anyone who would begrudge small businesses like we have and think they were making too much money and ask for a discount as a result is in the words of Mr. Trump a loser. Don't do business with losers.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well we don't have our totals complete yet, so I don't know exactly what we did in total revenue this year. As far as 08' goals go.....I'll be happy with increased business and dropping our overhead. We just payed off the last truck payment, so that's $600 a month less overhead for 08' so far. Any increase from the previous year is a decent year...as long as your overhead doesn't increase with it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extlights View Post
Well we don't have our totals complete yet, so I don't know exactly what we did in total revenue this year. As far as 08' goals go.....I'll be happy with increased business and dropping our overhead. We just payed off the last truck payment, so that's $600 a month less overhead for 08' so far. Any increase from the previous year is a decent year...as long as your overhead doesn't increase with it.
I'm retracting the request. Too many are uncomfortable posting it and that's fine. We'll let it rest.